cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD 19 Snap Guides

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am working in ArchiCAD 19, and I do not have access to Snap Guides. At one time I did, and it has disappeared (the function and the toggle in the Standard toolbar and View menu). What did I do to disable this function, and how do I get it back?
25 REPLIES 25
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
But remember that with the Pin Snap Guide command the pinned Snap Guide will be displayed only till the end of the next (or current) input or editing step, then it will disappear.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Andre_Steynberg
Enthusiast
Apologizing for another "in Archicad 18 I could do this" type question but here goes.
So I used this function quite a lot, I hover over and wall / slab edge, press M to bring up the Measure tool, then type in a distance and Tab to create an offsett guideline from an element. I could then exit the Measure tool by press Esc then do whatever with the guideline or create more guidelines.

If I do the same in 19, my guideline (or snap guide) dissapears although the Measure tool remains active.

I've had a look throught the AC19 Guidelines video but haven't seen something similiar?
Andre Steynberg
Win 10 64-bit
AC27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
1. Drag a Guide Line from the side onto the element edge.
2. Click the orange dot on this placed Guide Line, with your mouse button pressed start dragging it and type the desired offset distance then press ENTER.
Bruce
Advisor
You can also set a snap guide to orthogonal lines / points by:
1. Hovering over the point / line
2. Typing x or y (for x or y axis) and finishing with a + or -
3. Do not press enter, but rather escape or just pan the view. The snap guide should remain

To do this to a non-orthogonal line is a bit more of an effort. You need to get the perpendicular snap guide showing up, then:
1. Hover over this snap guide (dark mercedes cursor)
2. Type your distance, then TAB (not + / -)
3. Hit escape or pan in window.

Takes a bit of getting used to, but depending on what you're doing, can be faster than guide lines.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Andre_Steynberg
Enthusiast
Bruce / Laszlo thanks very much, different too what I was used too but exactly what I was looking for

Cheers

Andre
Andre Steynberg
Win 10 64-bit
AC27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Bruce wrote:
To do this to a non-orthogonal line is a bit more of an effort. You need to get the perpendicular snap guide showing up, then:
1. Hover over this snap guide (dark mercedes cursor)
2. Type your distance, then TAB (not + / -)
3. Hit escape or pan in window.

Takes a bit of getting used to, but depending on what you're doing, can be faster than guide lines.
Just to add a bit more explanation to Bruce's method for the "less initiated" :

The way you can get a Snap Guide perpendicular to an element edge quickly show up is to hover over either end node of the given element edge and press Q, which will immediately highlight the node as a Snap Reference Point (with a light blue circle).
The you can move your cursor away from the element edge perpendicular to the Snap Reference Point you just marked and the perpendicular Snap Guide will be offered by ARCHICAD. Then you can do steps 1, 2 and 3.

The reason this works is because when you type a value while your cursor is over the perpendicular Snap Guide, the distance will be automatically measured from the marked Snap Reference Point (which is the end point of the element edge), so any value you type is measured from that point.
When you press TAB the next field in the Tracker is activated and the value you types into the Distance field is now noted by ARCHICAD. If you now press the Esc key or Pan, ARCHICAD considers that you have finished your input in the Tracker and uses that distance value you types. So it measures that Distance along the Perpendicular Snap Guide and draws a Snap Guide Circle with the specified radius and also draws a parallel (offset) Snap Guide at the specified distance along the perpendicular Snap Guide.
Sounds a bit complicated when you read it but if you try it once you will immediately see what all these words are trying to describe.