cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Can I edit or trace an imported JPEG image?

Anonymous
Not applicable
SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!

I HAVE SCANNED AND PLACED A JPEG PLAN ON A.C,I IMPORTED IT.NOW I WANT TO KNOW IF I AM ABLE TO UN-GROUP IT OR TRACE IT THEN EDIT AND WORK ON IT? IT IS TOO BIG TO RE-DRAW! Sad

[Moderator edit: subject was uppercase - URGENT.CAN I EDIT OR TRACE AN IMPORTED 2D JPEG PLAN ON A.C?]
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Please do not use all capitals because it looks like you are shouting.
Also, please do not double post in different threads, you will not get an answer sooner.

The JPG file is a bitmap image which cannot be converted into lines, arc etc. in ArchiCAD.
There may be bitmap-to-vectorial conversion applications on the market. If you successfully convert to vectorial then you just need to save it in DWG or some other format ArchiCAD will be able to open.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Miss Norwebb wrote:
"...OR TRACE IT.."

If you place it on a layout sheet, you can then use it as a trace reference and draw (trace) over it.
You might be able to make a pdf (or get a pdf of it) and then you can get Illustrator to open pdf, then use Illustrator's>File> Export to dwg. But the "text" will have to be rewritten at the very least because it is not really text, but a ton of polylines.
lec
Use layout as trace.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can get a Scan2CAD trial version (google it).

This can also handle text using artificial intelligence.

But be warned: whilst the process of turning bitmap into vector can be automated, it is not a one-click operation, especially if the bitmap is not pin-sharp. For some drawings you will have to assess whether re-tracing is quicker.

Note: a TIFF file is better for this process than a JPEG because JPEGs are compressed and loose detail, so use a TIFF if you have one.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all,will take up the advice given.

Kind regards,