Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex Profile

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello

I made this complex profile. It looks ok in plan but in 3d & elevation the corners go all the way out to the edge of the footer.I was wondering if the point of origin might be the problem but it doesnt seem to fix it if I move it. I hope the screen shot shows enough to see what I am doing wrong. Also is there a way to change the footer line to a dashed line.

Thank You for any help

Brian

COMPLEX PROFILE.png
15 REPLIES 15
__archiben
Booster
Jere wrote:
Ok, i got a little confused there. So when I'm drawing complex profiles, let's assume a wall for now, what direction and relationship should the profile have in reference to the reference point?
the 'project' origin of the complex profile window is the point which follows the reference line of your wall/beam in the x, y, z co-ordinates that you specify. think of the rest of the profile as an extrusion along that path.

i don't believe that there is a hard and fast rule as to where to put it - it depends on the profile specifics . . . but what it highlighted in your case was that there was something wrong in the rest of the geometry in there . . . something that affected that extrusion.

you had duplicate stretch lines in there - probably not a problem - but what i forgot to check for was duplicate fills: if there are duplicate fills, archicad may be trying to extrude two identical geometries along the same path - that would also account for the crazy kind of co-planar highlighting effect i saw in the 3D window . . .

they're delicate i suppose. 'handle with care'

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Ben's right, there was a misaligned fill - which is a complex profile killer. The fill near the top right corner is out by .02 degrees. Drag that node on top of the other node and everything will be fine.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
Ben's right, there was a misaligned fill - which is a complex profile killer. The fill near the top right corner is out by .02 degrees. Drag that node on top of the other node and everything will be fine.

Cheers,
Link.

~/archiben wrote:
you had duplicate stretch lines in there - probably not a problem - but what i forgot to check for was duplicate fills: if there are duplicate fills, archicad may be trying to extrude two identical geometries along the same path - that would also account for the crazy kind of co-planar highlighting effect i saw in the 3D window . . .

they're delicate i suppose. 'handle with care'

~/archiben

Thanks Ben & Link

I see the fill problem, Just Sloppy work. It works now. But I don't understand the duplicate stretch lines. I chose line tool & selected all. It says there are 6. The 2 with the yellow arrow are so only the block wall will stretch not the footer. I guess it should be on the other side of the brick fill so that doesn't stretch. And the ones with the red arrow are the opening lines. Unless I don't need them both.

Thank You again for your help!!

Brian
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Your 6 lines consist of two vertical stretch lines, two horizontal stretch lines (and yes I would move it inside the brick), and two opening reference lines (one for each side of the wall). If you delete an opening reference line, just the one will be used no matter what side of the wall you inserted the window or door into.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link

Thank you for your help. So there are no duplicate stretch lines?

Brian
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
No duplicate stretch lines AFAICS.

Cheers,
Link.