BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Contours of complex profile are distracting

Anonymous
Not applicable
So i have this complex profile, with a curved edge:

But when viewed from an interior elevation, the black edges are still there and they look really ugly. I don't know how to remove them.

Is there a way to remove these lines? I know there's some way to do it by converting to a morph and then making the lines soft and then pick "show contours" and then make all other lines white. But that's a very lengthy process that i have to do for each element (i have houndreds), and i want to keep them as beams like they are now so i can change them later.
9 REPLIES 9
Lingwisyer
Guru
Manually draw the curve in the profile editor rather than magic wanding it. If you use the magic wand, it will sometimes approximate the curve with linear segments resulting in these edges. If you draw the curve manually by arcing the fill or just converting a straight edge, you should not get these extra edges.

Are these non-native objects? The tapware and the basin look like they are from SketchUp.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
It worked! But now it suddenly became very low resolution...

And yes, the tap is imported from rhino. If you know how i can remove the polygon net around it then that would be appreciated!
Lingwisyer
Guru
Ah... that has to do with the 3D curve resolution. A setting which currently cannot be modified outside of Morphs, Shells and GDL... Hopefully the revamped beam and column tools in AC23 with address this.

Straight from Rhino or via Grasshopper? I have no experience with this so that might be a question over on the Grasshopper sub.

Ling.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah, that's too bad. I see this has been an issue for many years, i'm surprised they haven't fixed it.

Regarding the rhino object - it's just a regular object that has been added to my embedded object library. So there's no rhino-archicad grasshopper connection or anything like that, i just simply made my own object library and used them in the model.
Barry Kelly
WhiteGuy wrote:
Regarding the rhino object - it's just a regular object that has been added to my embedded object library. So there's no rhino-archicad grasshopper connection or anything like that, i just simply made my own object library and used them in the model.
But how did you import the Rhino object into Archicad?
Did you use the BIM6x converter?

https://bim6x.com/RFA-RVT-Add-On-FAQ

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
If you convert your trim to a morph, you will be able to modify the curve resolution there. You will lose the ease of changing the profile though...

Ling.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
WhiteGuy wrote:
But how did you import the Rhino object into Archicad?
Did you use the BIM6x converter?

https://bim6x.com/RFA-RVT-Add-On-FAQ

Barry.
I just did File > Libraries and Objects > Import Rhino 3DM File as Object...
Barry Kelly
Try this converter.
It will convert a Revit RFA object into a GDL object.
It won't create fully parametric objects, but you can change pen colours and materials.
I have only used it a couple of times but so far so good.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
WhiteGuy wrote:
So i have this complex profile, with a curved edge:.....
You can get super smooth curves for geometry like that with some ArchiCAD objects

Complex profiles are typically useless to me because I find the curves and smoothness of them to be unacceptable. I can usually find a way to avoid them. You can model that with super smooth curves as individual objects such as a Molding and Slab, as a Morph, and save the whole thing as an Object and all of those can be as smooth as you want them to be - and you can do it with ArchiCAD. You never need to settle for bad complex profile curves - and you do not need to see all of those lines in an Elevation view of it either.
And this is how it should look in an Elevation or Section view

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Learn and get certified!