cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Converting to 3D takes too much time

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

When trying to convert to 3D, it can take up to 20 mins.
When performing an object inventory, AC13 could take up to 30 mins.

Is there a solution to this problem at all?

Please help as it is extremely frustrating.

Thanks,

Hayley
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have no idea of what you are talking about, but I'm interested
in converting to 3d, I suppose converting 2d to 3d???
Please explain a little better. 🙂
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hayley_D wrote:
Hi,

When trying to convert to 3D, it can take up to 20 mins.
When performing an object inventory, AC13 could take up to 30 mins.

Is there a solution to this problem at all?

Please help as it is extremely frustrating.

Thanks,

Hayley
I suppose by "converting" you mean you activate the 3D Window to generate the 3D model.
Here you could investigate a bit to pinpoint the source.
For example, you can use the Elements in 3D Filter to generate the 3D of only Walls, Slabs, Objects etc.
My guess is that you have some objects that generate huge numbers of polygons in 3D. For example, there were trees that had very high polygon count because all the leaves were generated in the GDL script.
You could also generate the 3D with only a few layers active at a time.
Naturally when a certain 2-3 layers is active and 3d generation is slow, the problematic elements will be on those layers.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks,

Yes, I think that I have too many objects with lots of polygons as they were converted from 3ds files - I'm in the midst of cutting those back.

Unfortunately, I need the whole model when presenting to class - do you know of any way to speed the process up, ie, to generate the 3d image?

Ta,

Hayley
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Unfortunately I cannot think of a way to speed it up.
You will have to handle the polygon issue, which can definitely be the case if you use imported 3ds files, those can get very big.
You will probably have to find some simpler alternatives for those very complex objects to reduce polygon count.

I would suggest that you download the Polygon Counting Tool Goodie with the
Help\ArchiCAD 13 Downloads command. With it you can get a good grasp of which objects have high polygon count.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hayley_D wrote:
...I need the whole model when presenting to class - do you know of any way to speed the process up, ie, to generate the 3d image
Assuming you are not presenting the live 3D model and only need renderings you can use the trick Laszlo mentioned of filtering the 3D for walls, slabs and roofs or use layers to hide the complex parts while you set up the 3D views based on the simple massing. Once you have them all worked out you can create a publisher set to render the final images while you sleep (or whatever).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hayley

Your slow switching time could be one of several issues.

1. Complex custom library objects creating the need for many more calculations.

2. overly large and complex mesh again needing many calculations (solution: is to split the mesh into smaller sections)

3. Lots of SEO objects and elements. if you have greated a custom object using Solid Elements and then duplicated it multiple times. (Solution: covert object to a library part to reduce inpact on model)

4. Trees: Trees use up lots of calculations and will slow down your computer when switching to 3d, have them all on a seperate layer that you can switch off during the initial switch, you can then turn them back on once your in 3d. having them off will let you editview your model easily, just turn them on once your ready to update your layouts or do 3d renders.

5. Hardware, you dont have enough processing power or memory for the version your using. there is a minimum spec but its often better to have several times the processing power and memory to effectively use ArchiCAD.

6. Computer is clogged up. have a clear our of your temporary files on your computer and defrag your disks.