Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Copy & Paste and objects remain selected in version 9 ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought the documentation of version 9 stated that objects once pasted "the copies remain selected" "leaving the original unselected" . Not having the objects that I pasted not selected after I pasted them was a thorn in my side. I really thought this problem was solved with the upgrade to 9. Am I missing something that I should toggle on for this feature to work?
13 REPLIES 13
Djordje
Ace
Weeves wrote:
I thought the documentation of version 9 stated that objects once pasted "the copies remain selected" "leaving the original unselected" .
Not pasted. Drag a copy, drag a multiple copy, multiply, etc.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Got it, thanks for your reply.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have this neat little trick to select pasted objects automatically(well, allmost).

ctrlZ is defined as undo.
I define ctrl shift Z as redo.

So, after I past anything into the drawing, I do undo and redo, and voila, the pated stuff is selected.

Real fast.
Krippahl wrote:
I have this neat little trick to select pasted objects automatically(well, allmost).

ctrlZ is defined as undo.
I define ctrl shift Z as redo.

So, after I past anything into the drawing, I do undo and redo, and voila, the pated stuff is selected.

Real fast.
You should win the tip of the month prize because your tip is something we didn't already know how to do, it is very clever, very useful, and profoundly simple.

I think you are a true ArchiMaster.

Thanks for the great tip.

Thanks.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Btw, let me tell you about the second part of the trick

I also define 'ctrl<' as a zoom window, and 'ctrl shift >' as zoom previous.

This sounds complicated, but you have to give it a try to understand the logic:

With almost the same movement, I 'undo' and 'redo' insertions, and 'do' and 'undo' zooms. Sounds complicated, but it speeds things up a lot.
Have fun
Thomas Holm
Booster
Well,

even if Krippahl's tip isn't new (it's been posted here and on the old ArchiTalk maillist several times) it IS very good and should be on the Archiguide if it isn't already. REDO already has a keyboard shortcut if you don't want to assign your own.

And it's not surprising that the menu command Edit>Paste doesn't work with the pasted copy being selected after it's been placed with that click outside of the bounding box, because the command's real function is actually PASTE THE CLIPBOARD'S CONTENT. And to make that change, you'll have to copy again.

As I'm one of the people who have been nagging about "keep copy selected" for several years, I'm happy that GS finally listened and implemented it in the drag-a-copy/multiply commands. However, I'm not completely satisfied, because they only implemented half of the wish.

The other half was "persistent commands", which means that the command should go on being active after you have placed the copy. With the previous copy selected, that would mean that you could for example go on placing chairs in a restaurant without having to select the command more than once. This is how it works in Microstation. When you're done with the command, you simply press Esc.

Now in AC9, you still have to re-select the command if you want to place several copies (multipy only works when you know how many copise you want and at what distance). This implementation is just a start. It gives you less zooming than before, and one click less, but it's not really good yet. (of course you CAN select the pet-palette Multiply option, but then you get this annoying dialog box to OK each time).

Microstation's command implementation is a little different. Most commands have icons in palettes (thanks Graphisoft, finally you can do your own toolbars/palettes. This is a HUGE THING)

But in Microstation, many commands work two ways. The copy command can work noun-verb wise like in Archicad (that is you can select the subject to be copied first). But they can also work the other verb-noun way (like i think in Autocad). If you select the command without any object selected, it allows you to select the object to copy after the command. In both cases, you can go on placing copies without ANY interruption, re-selection of command or subject or whatever. Very smooth.

And when you're finished, you Esc to abort the current operation. If you used noun-verb to start, the last copy remains selected with the Select arrow active for you to start another operation/command on it.

If you used verb-noun instead, an Esc deselects the last copy, but the command remains active and lets you select any other object to copy with one click and go on placing new copies of that one with subsequent clicks.

Microstation has some nicely polished details like this one. But remember I chose to go Archicad instead. Still, I miss some of these tricks!

Graphisoft, keep up the good work! It's not finished yet!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
The other half was "persistent commands", which means that the command should go on being active after you have placed the copy. With the previous copy selected, that would mean that you could for example go on placing chairs in a restaurant without having to select the command more than once. This is how it works in Microstation. When you're done with the command, you simply press Esc.
Thomas,

Are you unaware of the Option/Alt + Command/Control combination while dragging? Or is there something about it that doesn't work for you?

In case you are not using it yet, it is very cool and sounds like what you are looking for. Start to drag something and hit the option/alt key, this will switch to "Drag a Copy" and a little plus sign appears. If the command/control key is then hit (while the option/alt is still down) this becomes a command to drag multiple copies and two little plus signs appear. After placing the last copy, cancel or esc will terminate the process.

I just double checked in 9 and the multiple copies are all selected after hitting the esc key. This makes it especially easy to make multiple copies of the multiple copies. Very nice.
kevin b
Contributor
Love the fact that the copy is selected, and yes the multiple copy thing is still available. My question is, can you have it so the copy is not selected? Some type of override key that keeps the original selected. There are a few cases where this is the preferred method, it would be nice if there were a choice of whether the originasl or the copy is selected.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
Aussie John
Newcomer
If you want the element(s) to be selected after they are moved, do the following;

select the element(s), command D, press option and hit enter TWICE (or one mouse click). You now have a copy that is selected. command D or ( directly drag) to move to new location and apply what ever other transformations you need.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]