BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Custom Panels - Curtain Wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Is it possible to create a curtain wall - custom panel box that is slanted.

Here's an image of a facade that we're using as a reference.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, you can create custom Curtain Wall Panels, but it might require some GDL knowledge.
You can model your panel on the Floor Plan, select it and use the File\Libraries and Objects\Save Selection As\Curtain Wall Panel menu command.
I cannot offer more advice since I have not worked with this command before so I am not familiar with its intricacies, if there are any.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, you can create custom Curtain Wall Panels, but it might require some GDL knowledge.
You can model your panel on the Floor Plan, select it and use the File\Libraries and Objects\Save Selection As\Curtain Wall Panel menu command.
I cannot offer more advice since I have not worked with this command before so I am not familiar with its intricacies, if there are any.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
mikas
Expert
Just like Laszlo described. Model the panel with suitable elements, select the elements, and save as curtain wall panel. The panel will be selectable in curtain wall settings, or in 3D then modify-mode is on. Panel will stretch to the size of a given frame (see pic). You might have to make a few panels to achieve what you want.

In the pic I made 9 roofs with small gaps between them. Custom panel is the one which lies horizontal in front of the curtain wall.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Anonymous
Not applicable
THANK YOU!! This was very helpful. THANKS!
Anonymous
Not applicable
The option for save Selection as Curtain Wall Panel doesn't not appear on my menu on both Archicad 20 and 21. It only appears when it's a fresh blank project but when coming back to it... Poof.

I've tried resetting the profile back to standard but this does not help.
Anonymous
Not applicable
mikas wrote:
Just like Laszlo described. Model the panel with suitable elements, select the elements, and save as curtain wall panel. The panel will be selectable in curtain wall settings, or in 3D then modify-mode is on. Panel will stretch to the size of a given frame (see pic). You might have to make a few panels to achieve what you want.

In the pic I made 9 roofs with small gaps between them. Custom panel is the one which lies horizontal in front of the curtain wall.
I've created a custom panel object using slab tool with thikness 0.01m. When I then use it with the curtrain tool, it goes automatically to a minimum thickness of 0.032m!

Is it possible to have a curtain wall with really thin custom panels?

Thank you in advance.
(I use Archicad 20)
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
kkouroun wrote:

I've created a custom panel object using slab tool with thikness 0.01m. When I then use it with the curtrain tool, it goes automatically to a minimum thickness of 0.032m!

Is it possible to have a curtain wall with really thin custom panels?

Thank you in advance.
(I use Archicad 20)
Hi,

First, I hope that you and your loved ones are doing well during these challenging times!

Thank you for your question!

Unfortunately, this was a bug with the old Curtain Wall tool. The parameter script does not run when changing the custom panel's thickness values. This defect was fixed on ARCHICAD 22. If you are using ARCHICAD 20, there is a workaround for this issue:
1. Go to edit mode
2. Select all panel(s) that is set to use Custom Panel
3. Set the desired panel thickness, e.g. 10mm in Panel's settings, under Panel Type and Geometry tab, then click OK.

4. When you open up the dialog the second time, you will be able to enter 10mm as panel thickness in the Curtain Wall Panel Settings tab.

I hope this will help you with the issue. As ARCHICAD 20 is out of support right now, there won't be any update to it. Thank you for your understanding, and once again I apologize for the inconvenience!

Let me know if you need any further help!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Learn and get certified!