Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Custom Roofing Modelling

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi friends,

I am having trouble modeling a roof, the first attachment is how the roof needs to be. Now I have managed to model it to the correct shape and fall, as per attachment 2. However, I cannot adjust the angle of the pitch, there is a yellow exclamation mark next to it saying "One or more Planes of the selected Roof(s) have a custom pitch that differs from the Roof's overall pitch Setting".

I am presuming that it is because one or two planes are on a different pitch, thus it wont let me change the overall pitch.

It would be great if somebody could share their wisdom with me on modeling this roof!

Cheers,

Andy

Capture.JPG
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems i only added one attachment , here's the second which is what mine looks like.
Barry Kelly
You can still change the overall pitch.
The warning triangle will then turn red and tell you that there is a new checkbox at the bottom of the settings dialogue.
You can choose this to apply the pitch to all roof planes or leave it turned off to change only to those roof planes that have not already been customised.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
You can still change the overall pitch.
The warning triangle will then turn red and tell you that there is a new checkbox at the bottom of the settings dialogue.
You can choose this to apply the pitch to all roof planes or leave it turned off to change only to those roof planes that have not already been customised.

Barry.
Hi Barry,

thanks for helping out my posts. you've been really helpful, appreciate it.
I ticked the box to apply to all planes, and it changes the roof back a two way (normal) pitch roof instead of keeping it one way like I want. If i don't tick the box, it doesnt no changes. Maybe I am creating the roof wrong, I drew the roof like a normal roof and just dragged all the edges to the wall, so that it appears to have no edges on some sides. Is there a correct way to do this?

Thanks buddy.
Barry Kelly
The reason the tick box seems to have no effect is probably because all the roof planes are now custom.

You have quite a few options to fix it.

I would have probably just modelled this with 3 single roof planes and trim together (select and CTRL click edges) to form the hips and then adjust the shape of the planes to suit the cut-out for the building (see attached image)

But now you have it there already I would select and right mouse click > 'Split into single roof planes'.
You should find the vertical (gables) along the edge of the building will delete automatically - if not delete them.

Another option in the next post.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
Another option is to model a larger roof (sounds like you did this originally).
Make sure you have a slight eave overhang so you can select the edge of the roof and not the pivot line. You can set a zero o/hang again afterwards if needed.

Select the roof and right click on the eave edge and choose subtract in the pet palette.
Subtract the shape you want to remove - can be done in one go if you have an edge you can magic wand or you can cut a rectangle out or a straight edge and then repeat to cut some more.
The cutting can be a bit of a challenge if you are not sure of the techniques.
Sometimes I will place a fill the shape I want first so I can magic wand that and then delete the fill afterwards.

Done.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Make sure you have a slight eave overhang so you can select the edge of the roof and not the pivot line. You can set a zero o/hang again afterwards if needed.

Select the roof and right click on the eave edge and choose subtract in the pet palette.
Subtract the shape you want to remove - can be done in one go if you have an edge you can magic wand or you can cut a rectangle out or a straight edge and then repeat to cut some more.
Sometimes I will place a fill the shape I want first so I can magic wand that and then delete the fill afterwards.

Done.

Barry.
Hi Barry,

Thanks for the replies, I haven't given them a try yet, but it seems like a really neat technique . I shall give it a try later today, really appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Andy
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:

Done.

Barry.
Hi Barry, thanks for the knowledge, I sort of combined your techniques, where I modelled a larger roof and subtracted polygons with it then split into single plane roofs, it automatically removes the section that was trimmed by the subtracted polygon. Seems to work perfectly. Cheers!