cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Details question

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lately I've been annoyed by the fact that when Archicad creates a detail, it's actually an exploded version of the partial view.

I'm working in AC12.

I would like to know if there is any way to avoid that.

Thanks

Damian
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
How I understand it when you create a detail ArchiCAD takes a 'snapshot' of the area you're detailing allowing you to get in there and re-arrange lines and delete lines that may not be needed with out the worry of destroying your model. If you were to use a live view and you spent the time to really detail out what ever piece you're working on and then something changed in the model you would run the risk of losing all the work you put in to the detail.

That's my take on it.

Chris
Anonymous
Not applicable
psfresh wrote:
How I understand it when you create a detail ArchiCAD takes a 'snapshot' of the area you're detailing allowing you to get in there and re-arrange lines and delete lines that may not be needed with out the worry of destroying your model. If you were to use a live view and you spent the time to really detail out what ever piece you're working on and then something changed in the model you would run the risk of losing all the work you put in to the detail.

That's my take on it.

Chris
I understand what you are saying, even if Revit can do it anyway. Because in Archicad if you change it, then you have to rebuild it and start all over again.
But what annoys me the most are all those 'hidden' fills showing all over the place. I've learned once you create a detail, that the first thing to do is to delete all the fills,but anyway is an extra unneeded step.

Thanks for your reply.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I feel ya, I'm coming straight from AutoCAD and I'm finding this program extremely clunky when it comes to detailing.

Chris
Barry Kelly
If you want a "live" detail then use the section tool.
Everything will update automatically except for the annotation that you add.
But beware the "live" works both ways so if you move / delete a 3D element in the detail it will also happen in your model and all othere views.

If you want you can turn that section into a "Drawing" rather than leaving it as "Auto update".
Then you can add / delete / modify as much as you like without affecting the model - but you can never update from the model unless you reset to "auto update".

The detail tool is somewhere in between.
Yes it takes a "snap shot" of your detail area and turns it into lines and fills.
You can manipulate these as you like without affecting the model and can add annotation.
You can force it to "rebuild from model" in which case any lines and fills of 3D elements you have modified will changed to match the model and any annotation you have added will stay as it is.

With either the detail or section tool I sometimes like to copy the image and paste it just to the side.
I work on this pasted image and crop to show just that part of it on the layouts.
Then the original can update automatically (sction) or I can rebuild (detail) and compare the real detail with my copied one.
If I need to I can manually modify the copy to match and depending on how much has changed I can copy and and paste from it again.

Archicad modelling is great up to a certain scale - 1:50 maybe 1:20. but once you go beyond that with your details you are really wanting 2D drawings rather than the exact model (in my opinion anyway).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11