Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Extend composite external wall skin down & cut slab edge

mthd
Ace

Hi, After many attempts of trying to use the complex profiler with a modifier to extend my external brick skin down bellow the finished floor level of a slab. I would like to know if it can be done without modifiers, using a similar method as is shown in this official training video posted below ?

https://youtu.be/3ttIpDmQVLw?si=zIzs09O6Tj9zJG4z

Can I just capture my wall profile and then offset the external brick skin down to the desired depth and then apply it to all ?

Edit: I tested it and it did work for me as an offset modifier this time. I think I was using the wrong type of modifier in all my other attempts.

I still need to figure out how to cut a rectangular rebate in the edge of the slab in 3D ? It can be done with the CI Slab Edge Tool but I wonder how to do it with SEO’s if that is possible ? 

Slab edge can only be splayed at this stage or can we cut a rectangle out on the edge as well ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
11 REPLIES 11

The problem with complex profiles is, they can be any shape, not just vertical skins like a composite wall.

Can include footings, corbels, skirtings, eaves lining, etc.

So it would be hard to determine the inside/outside automatically.

Likewise any of the fills can be set as core, finish or other, so they may not be in any particular order.

So I think the offset is the best we will get for complex profiles.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mthd
Ace

Yes coming from CA, walls will automatically heal up. In CA you don’t really need the same level of construction complexity as we do in AC. In AC we can 3D model many types of commercial buildings and old buildings that have complex profiles.

The Complex Profile tool is actually a “Complex Profile Extruder” CPE and those from other 3D modeling apps would understand the term “Extrusion” better than just “Complex Profiler”.

Regarding external moldings, many use the morph tool to extrude various shapes or profiles. So far I haven’t even gone past trying to model a parapet gable wall end with the morph tool. I have to figure out when it is appropriate to graduate from CPE to Morph modeling. The next horizon for me maybe ?

Brick ledges and footing profiles are largely automatic in CA and therefore you cannot modify them as much as you can with AC I found. This video below shows how we do it with CA.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/320/brick-ledge-foundations.html?playlist=88

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura