cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Fill still linked to origin when set for Fit to Skin.

Fit to Skin Building Material settings do let the textures of the material fit the Skin as expected  -  but it remains to Origin instead of the Element  ( Wall in this case).  You would need to move the wall to make the texture of the Building Material fit/match up.    

https://app.screencast.com/oUFsm695eJCrt

Not very important I suppose -  Except to the person who is responsible for making this work properly. 

Question:  Why do some Building Materials have a Fit to Skin Function and others do not?  I would think this should be the default situation for all Building Materials that can be used in a Composite.    

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly

@Steve Jepson wrote:

Question:  Why do some Building Materials have a Fit to Skin Function and others do not?  I would think this should be the default situation for all Building Materials that can be used in a Composite.    

It is only 'Symbol fills' that can be set to use 'fit to skin'.

These are basically a 'sample' of the fill laid out next to each other like bricks to make the overall fill pattern, and so can be stretched to fit a skin.

The vectorial fills are computer generated patterns, and although they can be re-sized or scaled, they simply adjusts the spacing between the generated patterns.

They don't have a fixed size that can be set to fit to skin.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Yes. I understand what all the different kinds of fills are.   My comment is about how they are dysfunctional in Composites.  

The dysfunction (just to be clear) is that when the Fit to Skin function adjusts the Symbol Fill to fit the Skin of a Composite, it should no longer be linked to Project Origin - but it is.  If you move a Composite (wall for example)  that has symbol fills Fit to the Skins,  those symbol fills will no longer match adjoining walls - as seen in the video I posted. 

I think that is a defect in the program that needs to be fixed.   There may be some situations where you want the Fit to Skin fills to be displayed relative to Project Origin rather than to the Element that Skin is a part of,  but that should not be the default situation. 

The default should be that once the symbol fill has been Fit to the Skin, it will remain linked/oriented to that Element.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

@Steve Jepson wrote:

Yes. I understand what all the different kinds of fills are.   My comment is about how they are dysfunctional in Composites.  

The dysfunction (just to be clear) is that when the Fit to Skin function adjusts the Symbol Fill to fit the Skin of a Composite, it should no longer be linked to Project Origin - but it is.  If you move a Composite (wall for example)  that has symbol fills Fit to the Skins,  those symbol fills will no longer match adjoining walls - as seen in the video I posted. 

I was answering your question ... "Question: Why do some Building Materials have a Fit to Skin Function and others do not?"

Looking at your issue in more detail (it has never bothered me) I noticed the following.

In the building material settings, it is call "Fill Orientation" and not fill position.

You will find all 3 options use the project origin to set out the position of the fill.

It is just the angle of rotation that changes.

'Project origin' they will all be the same orientation regardless of the angle of the element, but fill position will still start at the project origin.

'Element origin' the fill will follow the rotation of the element, but it will still start at the project origin.

'Fit to skin' obviously fits to skin and it also follows the element rotation, but still is started from the project origin.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11