Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Floor Plan Cut Plane discussion...

Anonymous
Not applicable
It is both a cool and infuriating tool:
1.Cool for saving those upper cabinet plan views.
2. Infuriating when you place a high window in a room and it vanishes.

Just a friendly suggestion here, but if the floor plan cut plane is associated with the saved view in navigator, it should be listed under the view options in navigator.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
PS.

Too bad it doesn't really do what it says.

Set the bottom of the floor view above some objects, and they still display. It should act like true cutting planes in the model.
TomWaltz
Participant
It's not a true cutting plane. It only affects walls, roofs, beams, and columns.

It has no affect on objects unless they are specifically scripted to respond to it.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's not a true cutting plane. I
Precisely.
Karl Ottenstein
Nathan wrote:

Just a friendly suggestion here, but if the floor plan cut plane is associated with the saved view in navigator, it should be listed under the view options in navigator.
I've found it a both cool and infuriating feature, too, Nathan. Another infuriating example is when you are showing a daylight basement floor plan in which the concrete stem walls end above the floor level, but at different heights, with frame wall above, those stem walls below the cut plane show as an outline without a cut fill if they are set to 'automatic', rather than showing the fill as in 'own story only' (pre AC10 methods). Only solutions are to use the pre-AC10 method of modeling with 2 stacked concrete walls (not the way it is built) with 'own story only', or to manually insert a 2D fill.

A problem with automatic (designed for FPCP - floor plan cut plane) methods vs 'own story' is that the new wall intersection cleanup feature of AC10 - that walls of differing heights are not mitered in the area that extends below or above the adjoining wall - only works with 'automatic' (which is supposed to be a 2D only setting)... so we are forced to choose between two workarounds - 'own story' to get the sympolic display right, or 'automatic' to get the 3D right.

Lots of issues IMHO with FPCP that need to be fixed in the next version to make it a real productivity tool. Any gains I get today are lost with the workarounds.

As far as the cut plane indicator in Navigator - I agree that I'd like to see the settings there, but of course every view has a FPCP associated with it. There is no plan view which does not have a FPCP associated with it. It is just that if everything is set to own story/symbolic/etc, the FPCP settings have no effect....

It's a good 1st go at this feature, I think. I just hope that GS plans on polishing it. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Karl wrote:
Nathan wrote:

I've found it a both cool and infuriating feature, too, Nathan. Another infuriating example is when you are showing a daylight basement floor plan in which the concrete stem walls end above the floor level, but at different heights, with frame wall above, those stem walls below the cut plane show as an outline without a cut fill if they are set to 'automatic' (correct technically), rather than having an option to show the fill as in 'own story only' (pre AC10 methods - and desired symbolic representation). It looks really weird having a concrete-filled wall join an outlined-empty-fill wall and expecting the reader to guess that both are concrete. Only solutions are to use the pre-AC10 method of modeling with 2 stacked concrete walls (not the way it is built) with 'own story only', or to manually insert a 2D fill.

A problem with automatic (designed for FPCP - floor plan cut plane) methods vs 'own story' is that the new wall intersection cleanup feature of AC10 - that walls of differing heights are not mitered in the area that extends below or above the adjoining wall - only works with 'automatic' (which is supposed to be a 2D only setting)... so we are forced to choose between two workarounds - 'own story' to get the sympolic display right, or 'automatic' to get the 3D right.

Lots of issues IMHO with FPCP that need to be fixed in the next version to make it a real productivity tool. Any gains I get today are lost with the workarounds.

As far as the cut plane indicator in Navigator - I agree that I'd like to see the settings there, but of course every view has a FPCP associated with it. There is no plan view which does not have a FPCP associated with it. It is just that if everything is set to own story/symbolic/etc, the FPCP settings have no effect....

It's a good 1st go at this feature, I think. I just hope that GS plans on polishing it. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB