cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Foundation walls extending beyond reference line

MikeC
Booster

Hi all,

My foundation walls are extending beyond the reference lines all around the house. I've used Intersect with no effect. See images. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Mike

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 10.44.05.pngScreenshot 2023-11-15 at 11.11.21.png

Mike Covill – Advanced Heritage Designs – AC 27 Solo on Mac
17 REPLIES 17

No need for beams at all.  Your frame wall just really needs to NOT be a composite wall, but a complex profiled wall.  You can 'capture the composite fills in the profile editor, and then extend the flashing and the siding down below the 0-base (profile editor origin) level.  Just standard modeling... gives perfect sections, views, and not conflicts.   You draw the wall plate as fills inside the profile editor.  Don't create a profiled beam for the plate and flashing... as once again, you have objects occupying the same physical space.   It's possible here, but not worth other issues that will arise.

I think these product Help links might be useful?

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/27/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0&rhmapid=#t=_AC27_Help%2F040_Eleme...

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/27/INT/_AC27_Help/040_ElementsVB/040_ElementsVB-57.htm#XREF_72962_Cre...

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/27/INT/_AC27_Help/025_Attributes/025_Attributes-54.htm#XREF_36429_Def...

One of the forum moderators
AC 28 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

@Karl Ottenstein thanks for the suggestion.  I tried your suggestion, but as soon as I pull the exterior cladding in the complex wall down past the top of the foundation wall - beside the foundation wall, no overlapping, the foundation wall gets sucked through the cladding as previously shown. I have tried redrawing everything and still the same.

So I tried creating the walls again - two foundations, two complex walls at a corner.  This time the opposite happened...

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 20.13.09.png

Except this time the sticking out part is way beyond any of the other walls.  I've obviously messed something up.

Mike

Solution

No matter what type of wall you use, you will encounter what you see if you have intersecting reference lines for walls in plan and that intersect in 3D space. It can sometimes be resolved by changing the Intersection Priority Junction Order of the relevant walls.

Ling.

Edit: Used the wrong term...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

@Lingwisyer  Wow, this seems to be the problem.  If I move the walls relative to each other, the only time I can see this weird behaviour is when the reference lines are coincident in plan.

Are you referring to the Building Material Intersection Priority? None of the materials in these walls has the same priority.

Thanks,

Mike

Woops. Just checked, wrong wording... Junction Order.

Lingwisyer_0-1700183749899.png

Ling.

bvd
Contributor

bvd_0-1716269871565.png

I also have issues with junctions, stud wall against brick. different material. Different junction priority, and for some reason it wants to kick the bricks into the stud wall, and put a line break in the break wall.  Image A and B show the reference lines & result.

Image 3 is the solution however it is annoying to flip things back and forth, I like the reference lines to be consistency across the model. Finding I have to occasionally change them & junction priority is having little to no effect. Will do some more research but feels illogical 

AC cannot handle butting intersections like this as it will see that the Reference Line of your brick wall interects with your stud wall and hence will make a Priority Base Intersection.Your only options, if you cannot put them in different Intersection Groups, are to move them apart is some way, whether this be by referencing inside vs outside as you have done, using a reference offset, or creating a marginal gap.

Interesting, I was unaware of Intersection Groups & will give that a go as a preferred method, as I would rather not change the reference line and would never create a marginal gap. 

Thanks for your help & suggestions