Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

From DWG to MESH... a trick

NandoMogollon
Expert
Hi,
You all may be familiar with the AC14 new option "Place Mesh From Surveyors Data"...

It is a really fast way to create real terrains with just a few clicks. The only problem is that you will need a txt or a xyz file, and not all surveys provide with them, some will give you a dwg containing contour lines at real height.

There is a workaround to use the "mesh from surveyors" option with that dwg file:
  • 1- open the DWG as an object
    2- copy the 3D script to a text editor (just the lines) and save it as txt
    3- open the file in MS excel (using commas as separators)
    3- use find & replace to replace the LIN_ text with a space
    4- at this moment you will have 6 columns
    5- take the last 3 and place them at the end so you can have a list of X, Y and Z values
    6- save it as a txt , again using commas as separators
now you can use the "mesh from surveyors" option by selecting the txt file.

It worked for me with more than 12000 points, so it pretty reliable.
just be aware of the amount of polygons generated when viewing on 3D.

Let me know if any clarification is needed.

Regards

Nando

Screen shot 2011-01-28 at 5.54.40 PM.png
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
jonyyybe wrote:
Nando, can you by more explinable.

Can you explain the exactly the steps in the ravoneldar dwg file uploaded.

1- open the DWG as an object - i understand
2- copy the 3D script to a text editor (just the lines=what lines? there are many lines) and save it as txt - i don't understan what lines, but to save to a txt yes.
The "lines" are "LIN_" statements that define lines in 3D. These are the source for the XYZ coordinates.
3- open the file in MS excel (using commas as separators=???) - Using commans as separator?
This is a basic spreadsheet standard. Text files converted to spreadsheets typically have commas or tabs as the separators between the data in the cells.
3- use find & replace to replace the LIN_ text with a space - same ????
This is to delete the LIN_ command which the XYZ file does not need.
4- at this moment you will have 6 columns - remaning to be seen...
5- take the last 3 and place them at the end so you can have a list of X, Y and Z values - ??????
This isolates just the XYZ coordinate values in the spreadsheet. I'm not clear about the instruction to place the columns at the end as I assume the procedure is simply to delete all but the thee columns.
6- save it as a txt , again using commas as separators - ?????
See above.

If you are still not clear on this you will have to wait for Nando to put together his tutorial.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry but there aren't any LIN_ in my 3d script text document. I guess I should change PLANE_ or I made a mistake. Please people I need this information for starting my project. Could anyone make mesh the document which I've sent?
NandoMogollon
Expert
a couple of comments:

The DWG provided by Ravoneldar is a different kind of topographic file: instead of having contour lines with heights, contains 3D planes with heights as well.

But it serves a good example:

The main difference in the process is that instead of finding LINE_ statements you will find PLANE_ statements. Nevertheless you still have the information you want: ---X---, ---Y---, ---Z--- values for each point.

The TXT created with this DWG requires a bit more of "cleaning" before you save the final TXT for import into Archicad.

I'll try to find the time to explain this later... in a more "Human" way

Regards
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Anonymous
Not applicable
could you please send the .pln file to my e-mail?

It's ravoneldar@gmail.com

I need it so much!!!
NandoMogollon
Expert
ravoneldar wrote:
could you please send the .pln file to my e-mail?

It's ravoneldar@gmail.com

I need it so much!!!
I try not to do baby sitting when helping others. Nevertheless this is not an "out-of-the-book" procedure so I can offer you a deal:

Here is the TXT file you will need to create your Mesh, it is important for you to try to understand the procedure. Then you do your mesh.

The procedure to obtain this TXT file was:
1- Open the DWG as an Object
2- Copy the 3D script and Paste it into a simple text editor like Notepad/Textedit
3- Save it as TXT
4- Open the TXT in MS Excel
5- Clean the content in order to obtain separate columns with X,Y,Z values
6- Save it again as (the final)TXT
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Anonymous
Not applicable
NandoMogollon wrote:
I try not to do baby sitting when helping others. Nevertheless this is not an "out-of-the-book" procedure so I can offer you a deal:

Here is the TXT file you will need to create your Mesh, it is important for you to try to understand the procedure. Then you do your mesh.

you're absoloutly right. I'm sorry for bothering you but i'm trying this stuff for days. The problem was I had nothing to get an example. Anyway I have an example right now. Thank you for helping me again.

And I know how to do it now. I got my mistake. It was commas and so many numbers after the point.