Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to design 'Leaf' Roof?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm looking at design a leaf inspired roof design for a sustainable project I'm working on at Uni.

I tried using objective but I didn't get it to work as well as I had hoped (and as good as past experience...)

Screen shot 2011-02-11 at 17.30.05.png
25 REPLIES 25
OBJECTiVE is the coolest add-on ever.
We need it to be included with ArchiCAD.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
OBJECTiVE is the coolest add-on ever.
We need it to be included with ArchiCAD.
Indeed.

Thanks you Ralph and Steve for your help
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to create the roof now, but when I use the regular profile then bend it using OBJECTiVE, nothing appears to change. Also, I I create a new profile (section) then bend it, I end up with a crazy shape For the example you posted on this thread, did you use the regular profile solely for this?

Thank You
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
I'm trying to create the roof now, but when I use the regular profile then bend it using OBJECTiVE, nothing appears to change. Also, I I create a new profile (section) then bend it, I end up with a crazy shape For the example you posted on this thread, did you use the regular profile solely for this?
Yes, the entire frame is the same object (Regular Profile). You can do the same if you make profiled objects with OBJECTiVE.

Try an experiment first - just place a Regular Profile in the floor plan, select it, and click the menu OBJECTiVE > Tools > Bend. Does this work as you expect? If so, move on to a section and try it there. Note that bending can produce varying results if the plane of the section is different than the plane of the object, i.e. it will result in a combination of vertical and horizontal bending.

If you know the extent of the bending deflection, you can also enter the value directly into the vertical or horizontal bending settings (see attached image).
settings.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
I'm trying to create the roof now
Sorry - did you mean the roof cladding or framing?
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
NStocks wrote:
I'm trying to create the roof now
Sorry - did you mean the roof cladding or framing?
The roof framing, the cladding will be added once the main structure is created., I only looked at your instructions beforehand, I now have time to try it!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok I've made one piece I have the vertical bend at 500, if you remember, what value did you use? Also, to create the 'pitch' to allow water to run off, did you rotate the whole profile, or was the angle altered using OBJECTiVE? Referring to the attached, the profile can't be rotated, the line underneath is the desired effect.

(First image is 3D view, second is Elevation view)

Thank You
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
I have the vertical bend at 500, if you remember, what value did you use? Also, to create the 'pitch' to allow water to run off, did you rotate the whole profile, or was the angle altered using OBJECTiVE? Referring to the attached, the profile can't be rotated, the line underneath is the desired effect.
I modelled the roof shell first, and used that as a template for setting out the framing. Therefore, I placed and bent the beams visually (rather than typing in the deflection).

To place and bend the beams in elevation, refer to the attached image. First, there are two methods for getting the beam at the correct pitch and length. The first is:
  • 1. Set the Geometry Method for the OBJECTiVE tool to Rotated Diagonal.

2. Trace the beam start and end points, and click twice on the end position.

3. The beam is in place (note that OBJECTiVE ensures that the beam becomes part of the 3D model - ArchiCAD otherwise places it as a 2D only symbol)
Alternatively, if the beam is already in the elevation:
  • 4. Drag the start of the beam to the required start position.

5. Use the menu OBJECTiVE > Tools > Rotate to rotate the beam to the required pitch (don't use ArchiCAD's rotate - it won't work in elevation).

6. Stretch the beam to the end position.
In either case, do the following to bend the beam once it is in the correct position and pitch:
  • 7. Select the beam, click the menu OBJECTiVE > Tools > Bend, and click somewhere along the curve you are bending to.

8. The bent beam in elevation.

9. The bent beam in 3D.
Hope this helps.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok I've had my first go at it. It's not accurate yet and it doesn't look 'right' but I'm learning

On the rafters, how did you make them join together properly? Referring to my screenshot you can see that there are large gaps... Are my angles off, which is why they don't join?

Thank You

PS Sorry for all my questions, like anything at Uni. I'm learning multiple tools/programs everyday, not that I'm excusing myself for trying!

Nathan
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
On the rafters, how did you make them join together properly? Referring to my screenshot you can see that there are large gaps... Are my angles off, which is why they don't join?
That's a bigger question than you realise - the way to fit objects together depends very much one the setout, construction, and form of the roof. And there is always more than one solution. I think the easiest solution in your case is:
  • 1. Place rafters that are much longer than you need. Then, once they are in place, you can often cut them to the correct length in one step (rather than stretching and cutting each bit individually). I recommend choosing the rafter anchor point carefully to suit the roof geometry setout (I chose bottom centre in this case).

2. Place a section through the centre of a rafter (along its length) and open the section view.

3. Move and rotate the rafter (with OBJECTiVE > Tools > Rotate - ArchiCAD's rotate won't work in section) just as you did for the ridge.

4. If necessary, change the rafters Swivel parameter to echo the slope of the ridge at that point as it rises and falls).

5. Depending on the form and complexity of the roof, you may be able to replicate this rafter elsewhere. In the worst instance, you might need to do this rafter by rafter. In any case, only set out the rafters on one side of the leaf, mirror it to the other side, and then multiply around the building.

6. When the rafters are in place, use OBJECTiVE > Tools > Split to cut them to the correct length, e.g. along the ridge centre.
Ralph Wessel BArch