Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to: incline crown moulding? Any help or ideas please.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everybody, I just joined the forum.
I am on a 30 day trial of ArchiCAD for Mac and I am loving it!
I have hit a road block though, I can't seem to figure out how to make the crown trim at the tops of the walls go up at an inclined angle over the front of the entrance. You can see in the attached images I was able to get a little square piece go up at an angle, but the crown has me stumped..
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

34 REPLIES 34
Rakela Raul
Participant
Rod Jurich wrote:
Rakela Raul wrote:
what about the NEW Archirotate ?? i have tried but doesnt work for me

Persist. Read the manual carefully.
Thanks Rod,

I did this a couple of times and didnt get back to it....created a profile as shown on the picture using the profiler tool and then used the archirotate tool but archirotate didnt convert the new gsm object ....if i create the profile usisng archiforma, AR convert and rotate properly.....too quick to post i know....i'm gonna count on you and as far as i know now..it does work. thanks a lot
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
First of all, I made my own GDL object that inserts crown and frieze board at an angle.

However, if you haven't learned all the nuts and bolts of GDL programming, then try the following. This works for moldings in an elevation (that does not turn a corner).
1.) Go into elevation view and use a polyline to draw the path of the crown (like in a gable, it would be an upside down "V").
2.) Copy the polyline from Elevation view to Plan view.
3.) In Plan view, make a section profile of the crown using a polyline
4.) Select the section profile of the the crown and with the Profiler Add-on, draw along the path of the polyline that you made in elevation (that is now in plan view).
5.) When the GDL object is finished, use the Open GDL command to open the crown.
6.) In the 3D Script portion of the object insert the text ROTX 90 in front of all the other text.

This will now show up correctly for a GDL object that is in the same plane.

HTH
Rick Thompson
Expert
Does this help? 3D Smartsparts Trim Library has a piece that fairly easily lets you set the slope and miter angles.. and choose from many moulding parts.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick wrote:
Does this help? 3D Smartsparts Trim Library has a piece that fairly easily lets you set the slope and miter angles.. and choose from many moulding parts.
How do you like the Smartparts? Like any library, I've been concerned that in actual use they would not be flexible enough. Can you turn corners with them? Can you create custom profiles that can then be adjusted as shown in the image you posted? At what point/for what conditions do they NOT work well?

At the suggestion of other posts, I'm looking at Objective as it seems very flexible, but a pre-made library would be great if it's flexible enough.
Rick Thompson
Expert
I don't get real carried away with trim. I do the exterior as needed for rendering, and make 2D elevations quicker, but it is generally just the rake mold, as on the attachment above. You can cut an angle on the sloped member, as in this attached shot. So, with effort to set each angle, and align the pieces, you can do a lot. It comes with a lot of trim that you select with whatever object you are using, but I have never tried to make anything else. You can download the info here.

http://www.ddgi.com/object_shop/d3sp-shop01-libs-tr.html

I use the wall tool when ever I can, since it is easy to quantify... corner boards, fascia, etc.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display