cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

LET'S BRING THE FUN BACK

Djordje
Ace
... or your top ten ArchiCAD wishes.

Mine is in the topic title, all encompassing.

The particulars?

- concept modeling tool
- stair tool
- parametric object creation tool with graphical interface (doors and windows included)
- sloped top walls
- double curve curtain wall that also punches a hole in a wall
- true curved roofs
- assembly tools (railings, false ceiling, panelling ... yes, I know Curtain Wall can be used for this)
- overhaul of the annotation tools, especially correct dimensioning text orientation
- full backwards compatibility/old file opening and/or conversion tools (long life projects, anyone?)
- OLE (don't care that MacOS does not have it, Windows does not have other things)

And now, you ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
56 REPLIES 56
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
vincon2 wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
vincon2 wrote:
Am I the only person who wants slabs to be fully schedule-able (made up word?) and for them to be recognized by zones?

Improve the Slab Tool by:

1. Increase slabs scheduling capabilities:
. . . .a. Make them fully recognizable by zone(s)
. . . .b. Give them all the scheduling capabilities of objects
2. Add FM Parameters so I can input specific data as needed by slab
3. Full rotation capabilities
I know it does not help you very much right now, but the Object Tool knows all these. Point 3. would need GDL scripting just as well as the geometry of the counter top. But using GDL this is possible to do right now.
I'm not really sure what your point is, I do understand the object tool does these (and sometimes 3), but it's not free-form in that it allows me to draw odd shapes, edit them on the fly after I've placed them & add cut outs. I want the benefits of the object tool as well as the slab tool combined
Well, I was trying to think in solutions until your wish comes true.
I would suggest you draw the desired shape in 2D and save it as an Object. You will not be able to modify its geometry, but you will be able to list it and it will have FM parameters.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
vincon2 wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
I know it does not help you very much right now, but the Object Tool knows all these. Point 3. would need GDL scripting just as well as the geometry of the counter top. But using GDL this is possible to do right now.
I'm not really sure what your point is, I do understand the object tool does these (and sometimes 3), but it's not free-form in that it allows me to draw odd shapes, edit them on the fly after I've placed them & add cut outs. I want the benefits of the object tool as well as the slab tool combined
Well, I was trying to think in solutions until your wish comes true.
I would suggest you draw the desired shape in 2D and save it as an Object. You will not be able to modify its geometry, but you will be able to list it and it will have FM parameters.
Thanks, but that's what I said in my post I was already doing. It adds a ton of unnecessary tedium when you model and schedule as many things as I do.

Another builder that draws his own plans using Archicad (who does outstanding and meticulously detailed plans) went to Budapest and conveyed the same desire to the people there. He was told the light finally went on as to how useful this would be and they told him it would be implemented in version 11

We're on version 12 and still waiting
Karl Ottenstein
vincon2 wrote:
Another builder that draws his own plans using Archicad (who does outstanding and meticulously detailed plans) went to Budapest and conveyed the same desire to the people there. He was told the light finally went on as to how useful this would be and they told him it would be implemented in version 11

Rusty F. perhaps?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
vincon2 wrote:

Rusty F. perhaps?
Yes sir!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok. I agree with a lot on here, but a lot of it simply is and has been outsourced (I.E. rendering engines like C4D/Vray/Maxwell; 3d detailing via 3dsMax, C4D, etc; Parts creation via the same... etc., etc.) -which makes sense with the current economy...

However, if there is ONE CHANGE we REALLY MUST HAVE in this economy, it's fast scheduling that is more intuitive and makes sense

1) Fast and easy schedules organized in logic for clients, not architects. Clients want to see a change, and the volumes effected and a cost relationship. ANY APP that can do that in real time with a little set up will KEEP the architects/designers who USE IT, in business in the current penny-pinching economy. AND that will keep customers upgrading and coming BACK to Graphisoft (which might be critical to avoid layoffs this year and next).... (Yes that means you possibly, or your boss, or employee/team)

We need to be able to link elements via their layers to schedules, in ways we can turn off en-mass (I.E. hide a layer) to show volumes-shown. We need a field that runs off an excel-formed table INSIDE ArchiCAD that shows the real-time changes for client meetings. This will save days of labor on so many kinds of jobs for architects (who might be resorting to 2nd jobs soon).

We need at the LEAST, schedules that we can update and import INTO external apps like Excel in less than a few minutes, without taking a week long course.

We need flexible labeling systems that itemizes out TO THE SCHEDULES. So clients can SEE what each change or renovation or design issue is costing them (and we need this not as "elements" exactly, nor GSM parts- too time consuming to set up)...

AC needs to cater to the desperate pocketbooks of people who will need the next version that includes something like this so we can keep clients. Real-time and flexible schedules will affect ALL of us, from shed-designers to high-rise commercial giants to undersea-petroleum exploration designers. It will also KILL the competition.

We can always get to the 3d and modeling stuff with Gmax (free) or an open source modeling app (free); we can always fix fly-by's and visualization stuff with a discount off something like C4D or Maya (student version anyone?) or 3dsMax (which is as easy to use as ArchiCAD by the way, once you understand planes and extruding faces and figure out how to twist and turn and navigate in 3d- by the way, EVEN IN SUCH SERIOUS SOFTWARE they still have huge navigation issues with the 3d windows, so those of you who want design -interface chances in 3d navigation (I.E. real-elevation gravitation for walk-thru's).. well, even the giants have a hard time doing it, so AC isn't going to do it anytime soon- and 3dsMax does have this so simply import your models as *.3ds and render a fly-by or the model into a *.map or *.bsp and open it with a "game-mode" bsp-map viewer and "walk around" in it...

Schedules however, are in the end, after the design work is done, the service that clients will MOST NEED from architects. With creative builders, architects could become obsolete from everything except big commercial and tech jobs. Taking something visual and showing what will cost what, and sum totals as we go, quickly and efficiently, will draw a line in the sand on who remains an architect and who becomes a drafter or street chalk artist with a hat out for change.

So that's my 1st wish for AC.
Least if I upgrade- which might depend on my street-singing skills here in East Europe, and back in the USA.
(I've got the guitar out and I'm tuning it as we speak-LOL!)
TMA_80
Enthusiast
ok, Eight years late, but anyway:
1- In place module editing
2- Nurbs or anything that make curves look good ( Particularly in sections)
3-Slab tool enhancements ( flat roof water drainage inclinaison, and custom edge profile)
4- Wall profile in elevation editing, each node could have its own elevation , the edge could
benefit from the same tool of editing a line for example and a divide tool for walls in section view
5- elementary operations (* -) in schedule and a guide for the « rest of us » for the calculation menu
6- visual gdl creation tool
7- scriting environment a la ruby.
8- a curtain wall with more shapes (and panel possibilities (double curved )
9-zones enhancement ( visible in section and schedule with colors)
10-uvmapping enhancements and texture import made easy( import by a simple drag ad drop from an explorer.)
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
That last list pretty much sums it up for me as well. Add to that keynoting functionality as well.