cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Merging Walls - Help!!

griggadee
Contributor
Hi folks,

Could you please have a look at the picture attached and tell me how to successfully merge these walls together so that there are no gaps at any point where they join?

I have tried everything but am unable to get a clean join between all three elements.

Thanks,

Paul

Wall Merge Fail.jpg
Paul Griggs BSc (Hons) MCIAT MCIOB
Chartered Architectural Technologist
AC23, i5 3570K Processor, 16gb RAM, NVidia 570GTX Graphics Card, 250gb SSD Drive
12 REPLIES 12
Eduardo Rolon
Here's one trick

http://www.onland.info/archives/2010/07/fixing_wall_corners_with_columns.php
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
See the picture:
Walls_Reference line 06.jpg
griggadee
Contributor
Thanks for the responses chaps.

I followed the tip from Andro55 and this worked a treat in terms of 3d geometry so thanks Andro55. See attached image.

The composite fills still look a little poor though. Any suggestions for getting the plasterboard lines to meet on all sides?

Thanks,

Paul
AC23, i5 3570K Processor, 16gb RAM, NVidia 570GTX Graphics Card, 250gb SSD Drive
Anonymous
Not applicable
I repeat,
all 3 reference lines must meet in 1 common point!
The wall reference line can be outside of the wall itself.
griggadee
Contributor
I hear you brother loud and clear. The references lines do all meet at one common point.

Thing is, as I said before, your method worked really well in sorting out the geometry of the walls, i.e. they all meet and join correctly now, but the plasterboard within the composite fills still doesn't meet on all sides. I will have to manually redraw this area should I need to produce a detail of it.

Any ideas for making sure the fills line up correctly?

To be honest, your tip gave me the answer for getting over my initial problem and so the fill issue is no big deal really, I can work around this. It's just handy knowing if there is a simple answer.

Thanks,

Paul
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Then your best bet is the column solution that is shown in that Onland article. It will give you both correct 2D and 3D:

http://www.onland.info/archives/2010/07/fixing_wall_corners_with_columns.php
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Paul:

You should set various Skin Priorities for the Wall Composite in the Composite Structures dialog box, then in the Wall Settings > Floor Plan and Section > Structure Enable Skin Priorities. This will give a better result.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
griggadee
Contributor
Firstly, I must say that since moving from AutoCAD to ArchiCAD last year after 7 years of using the prior, not only am I now in no doubt that ArchiCAD is the best drafting / visualisation programme on the planet, but it also has (along with Artlantis) the best support community in the world! Thank you very much to one and all for your speedy and helpful feedback!

Anyway, David, I have created the wall composites that you see on the JPEGs and so the problem is not in there as all of the walls feature the same composite, and the 'enable skin properties' box is already ticked. Neither of which seem to sort the problem but thanks anyway. I guess it is just something I will have to live with when I have multiple walls meeting at varying angles.

Laszlonagy, thanks for the link, but by the looks of it, that workaround would only work if you have a consistent background fill on the walls. As I have a composite fill within my walls, I cannot see ArchiCAD correctly applying this to my busy wall junction. I will try nonetheless and let you know if I am successful.

Thanks,
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You need to create a Custom Profile in the Profile Manager and apply it to a Column, then you need to place that into the intersection. Maybe the easiest way to do it is to create a copy of those intersecting Walls, explode those copies so they will become Fills and Lines, and copy those Fills and Lines into the Editing Window of the Profile Manager when you create the Profile for the Column. After proper placement the Profiled Column will cut itself out of the Walls and will also seamlessly join the Wall fills if they are the same.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27