Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Morphs and Extrude tool ('Tube')

alexliz
Advocate

I need to create a simple drainage elbow segment.

Was going to use the Morph tool and an extrusion along a 3D Polyline morph. 

In theory it should be easy but in practice I find it impossible.

I find that the extrusion happens unpredictably, using arbitrary starting points.

All videos I have watched as well as the online Help from GS, present this as a very straight-forward matter.

Two things are going wrong:

1. The reference point on the cross-section to be extruded 'shifts' from the centre to the perimeter. And...

2. The first curved segment along the extrusion path becomes a straight bit; only the 2nd curve extrudes along the curved path.

What could I be doing wrong?

Screenshot 2024-08-10 at 16.35.33.png

Screenshot 2024-08-10 at 16.34.45.png

Screenshot 2024-08-10 at 16.35.01.png

Screenshot 2024-08-10 at 16.35.09.png

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma
12 REPLIES 12
Marc H
Advisor

In stepping back, why not use the MEP piping to create your elbows, etc.? 

“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors

Hi @alexliz,

As @Marc H said, you can use MEP tools but if you have to model it by morph here’s a video may help you enough.

https://youtu.be/XsdOBD_MGvA?si=nMrEPlKLS264tViz

AC 27 INT 5060/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB
runxel
Legend

I think the secret behind this is that the the extrude help line must be boolea unioned to the extrusion profile.

Here is video, german, but you will get the gist.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text | My List of AC shortcomings & bugs | I Will Piledrive You If You Mention AI Again |

POSIWID – The Purpose Of a System Is What It Does /// «Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
alexliz
Advocate

Thanks y'all for the replies.

@Marc H : I haven't used the MEP modeler tools yet, so don't feel comfortable at this point. Plus, I have seen that really long thread on the 'feature that didn't happen in 27' so have got a bit discouraged from trying to learn it in the current version. But I also wanted to get comfortable with the Morph capabilities, so that added to my decision to stick with Morph for this.

@Mahmoud Qenawi : Yes, I had seen the video you linked to. In the end I did it that way. One key thing to keep in mind is that the extrusion/tube path must start from a point of the original Morph cross-section - it can't be, for example, the centre of the hollow section; this means that you have to use two parallel Morphs, one of which will be solid, and the hollow will follow the tube from the solid one.

@runxel : Thanks for the reply. It may have been the case back in v21 through to v25. However, in the current one, Archicad 27, the extrusion path doesn't have to be part of the extrusion profile. I now know this, after extensive trial-and-error since my OP above.

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma

I encourage you to try the new MEP Modeler in 27 which became MEP Designer in 28TP, it’s really revamped and refined across the latest hotfixes & updates.

That will give you the ability to modify element’s parameters & extract all info you need from your model unlike Morph.

Whatever you choose it’s up to you & your workflow, wish you a good luck.

AC 27 INT 5060/WIN 11
alexliz
Advocate

Thanks, @Mahmoud Qenawi , I'm giving it a try as I type. I activated the MEP Engineering toolbar but it's full of 'empty' icons - no tools. Only if I activate the MEP Work Environment does the toolbar get populated with tools. Is this a bug?

Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 20.40.40.png

Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 20.40.01.png

  

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma

@alexliz wrote:

I activated the MEP Engineering toolbar but it's full of 'empty' icons - no tools. Only if I activate the MEP Work Environment does the toolbar get populated with tools. Is this a bug?

No, it is not a bug.

You need to have the MEP commands added to your Work Environment toolbars and menus.

Or as you have discovered activate a WE that has them already.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

In addition to Barry's reply,

I see there's an area in your WE window which I couldn't understand, is it a default option in your WE or added by your custom (Alex 01) one?

Screenshot 2024-08-12 042606.pngScreenshot 2024-08-12 042750.png

* As the default WE window doesn't contain this area.

Screenshot 2024-08-12 043657.png

AC 27 INT 5060/WIN 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

Regarding getting the center of the Morph extrusion, I usually place a slab at the start with the corner defining my center and perpendicular axis.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660