Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Objects created with custom profiles are faceted

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've created a custom profile that includes a circular hole and filleted corners, and assigned it to a column. For some reason, what are supposed to be curved sections of the column are faceted--that is, reduced into a series of straight-line segments (see attached photo). The really troublesome bit is that this doesn't seem to be a display shortcut as is often the case in 3D programs--rather, each of these facets can be snapped to, and when viewing the column in plan I can't dimension the radii of the curved bits.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how I might fix this. The problem doesn't seem unique to the profile I created, which suggests that it might be some kind of global setting I need to adjust...

facets.png
6 REPLIES 6
rgarand
Booster
Did you draw the profile with polylines or circles/arcs? Mine seems to be coming out just fine.
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep, profile is drawn with a circle and fillets generated using the fillet tool. Screen shot of profile is attached.
profile.png
rgarand
Booster
The only other thing I can think of is if you used your magic wand to create the fill and how those settings are set up. If those settings are too high and you have the tracing method set to Linear Segments you may generate a fill like your first screenshot...but you would see this fill with it's segments.

It is interesting to hear you can actually snap to the intersections of the segments...this tells me the fill in the original profile has segments.

Maybe redraw the profile.
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
Anonymous
Not applicable
I did indeed create the fill with the magic wand tool, but I double-checked the fill and it appears to be correct (i.e. composed of curved segments where appropriate).

I also created a brand new custom profile and had the same problem. I've noticed that the problem additionally exists with profiles I didn't create (e.g. steel sections).

I am however able to draw, say, a slab or roof that is curved in plan and have it behave as one would expect.

This seems to suggest that the problem has something to do with the way in which the profile manager is converting profiles into objects...
David Maudlin
Rockstar
jkjenner:

Custom Profiles do get segmented in the model, see: Custom Profile, this is evident in small items. An alternative is to use the Slab Tool to create this piece, it will have better curve resolution.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the heads up--now that I know that, I won't waste any more time trying to figure out how to make it work!

I am mildly shocked that the program operates this way by design--I've used probably a dozen CAD or 3D programs of various types and never come across anything like this. Every program imposes some sort of geometric simplification to facilitate rendering but these programs always preserve the underlying geometry for practical purposes. It seems crazy to me that ArchiCAD will actually let you *dimension* the arbitrary graphic simplifications it makes, and prevent you from dimensioning what it is you actually drew...