Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Out of the "box" modeling

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone, first time posting, long time lurker.
i'm an archicad 19 (student version) user but i did't attend any specific course (atm) about archicad and his full potential, just some intro and basics stuff, and that's why i'm here at the moment.
since now i've only used archicad as a smart tool to have always in sight every graphical and computational aspect of quite basically projects.
but now i'm in the need of something more advanced and i can't find a workflow to follow for my "first time outside the box".
i'm referring at this "box" because till now I've used archicad to create projects with vertical walls (and horizontal partitions) but now i do need to remodel some complex shapes and i can't find the right way to do that.
i've searched around the forum but i've found things that dates back to 2009 or so and i think that things might actually be a little different now.
to go more inside the problem i'll attach a screen of the model i'm trying to replicate in archicad, i've got it out from another modeling tool.

as you can see none of the walls are straight up walls and none of them have fixed height...i can't really figure out how can do that in archicad, any suggestions/on line tutorial to better understand how to model using 3d instead of plan and section views?

thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Mass model it with Morph tool until you like what you have. Walls can be pitched, but you can also draw it with roofs, shell, curtainwall tool etc

But I would start with massmodelling with morph tool for the preliminary desing. You can snap to the morph in 3d, to draw roofs/shells/curtain wall on top of the morph shape.

Morph will also allow you to do quantity take off for any stories you define and you can set it to project the proper cut for the floorplans, start drafting zones on top of that to figure out the program of spaces etc etc

Check out some of the recent youtube tutorials https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnXY6vLUwlWWJawLurhjmdS9-W1oaUSnQ
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin wrote:
Mass model it with Morph tool until you like what you have. Walls can be pitched, but you can also draw it with roofs, shell, curtainwall tool etc

But I would start with massmodelling with morph tool for the preliminary desing. You can snap to the morph in 3d, to draw roofs/shells/curtain wall on top of the morph shape.

Morph will also allow you to do quantity take off for any stories you define and you can set it to project the proper cut for the floorplans, start drafting zones on top of that to figure out the program of spaces etc etc

Check out some of the recent youtube tutorials https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnXY6vLUwlWWJawLurhjmdS9-W1oaUSnQ
thanks!
gonna try asap.
is there a way to "import" my existing 3d model and snap vertex on it?
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Depends on what program you used, but sketchup, for example, can be imported as object, which in turn can be turned into a morph.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin wrote:
Depends on what program you used, but sketchup, for example, can be imported as object, which in turn can be turned into a morph.
blender but i can export in (almost) every format i want to

Edit: ok i've learnt how to mass model using morph, and I'm feeling so stupid by not knowing it before. Anyway now I need to give to my shape's faces a thickness and assign materials etc. I've tried watching the tutorial series but I can't find nothing. In my mind I imagine that I can easily add a wall In plan view and stretch by snapping on the 3D view. Am I correct? Is there an easier way? Thanks in advance

EDIT2: so, there's no way really fast and easy way to replace morph faces with walls...
so i'm not getting the point of modeling a conceptual object in archicad if you can't use it as a "receive" base for the architectural project...
Anonymous
Not applicable
up?
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
It doesn't have to be a wall, you can also use a roof, if the shape is too irregular. Or just give the morph more detail. Have you seen the morph tool videos? They are making all kinds of free form stuff, even TIE fighter.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin wrote:
It doesn't have to be a wall, you can also use a roof, if the shape is too irregular. Or just give the morph more detail. Have you seen the morph tool videos? They are making all kinds of free form stuff, even TIE fighter.
yes, seen a lot of them, but morph tool would be way more useful if you could easily swap morph faces with typical him elects, i mean, i can model without any problem my shapes, but once i try to put "thickness and materials" to the various faces i need anyway to manually input angles etc. am i missing something?