Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Partial structure display / graphic override hide finish but show extent

PClarke
Booster

Hello I had a look but I couldn't find a topic regarding this.

I am trying to set up a project so that in a 1:100 floor plan the walls show the extent of finishes whilst hiding skin separator lines for finishes only, and all of the finishes are changed to a white.

ie - so a stud wall with 2 layers of plasterboard to both sides shows the stud with a coloured fill, but the plasterboard just shows as white with no line between the two layers of plasterboard.

I've tried setting up some rules with graphic overrides but I can't find anything that would allow me to apply the graphic overrides only to finishes - the override is applied to the whole wall.

Is there a way to achieve this without a work around? An easy work around would be splitting the wall components into separate walls, or drawing a fill over the core of the walls, but I want to avoid this if possible.

I need to show walls in full detail in a lot of other plans, so I can't simplify the composite wall to combine layers of plasterboard.

2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly

Graphic Overrides work on the entire element as you have discovered.

So you can't have a GO affect only some skins.

You have Partial Structure Display, but that will completely hide the finish skin, so you won't even see the extent.

Apart from the work arounds you mention, the only other one I can think of is to use a separate pen set.

That means you will have to use a dedicated pen for the skin separator lines and the fill hatch pen that can be turned white in a pen set you use when you want to hide those lines and fills.

Be aware, they are still there, just white.

So they will mask anything that is behind them - but that shouldn't be a problem if you are wanting to show the extent of the finishes.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hehe yep, I thought about doing it with a separate pen set, this causes a few other issues but it is possible. The main problem is just the work changing all walls, composites and other items as the same pens are pretty much in use throughout the entire project.

Thanks for your help.