Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Placing railings on stairs

Below is some pictures showing the results when trying to place some railings on a set of stair. The upper left shows the floor layout of the stairs. I initially created the outside railing starting at the bottom of the stairs. Note that when selecting the points I made sure that the stairs highlighted with a blue fill. The image in the upper right shows the result in 3D. Please note the double posts. When selecting where the railing should go I selected the start of the stairs going up followed by the right hand extent of the landing followed by the left hand extent of the landing and finally the end of the stairs at the top. I have tried everything to get rid of the double posts but without success. This is the first time I have done this in AC26 but I never had this issue in previous versions of AC. In addition I got some strange results depending upon how I created the inside rail. The middle image shows the 3D results if I created the railing starting at the bottom of the stairs. You will note the horizontal lines emanating from the inside rail. I erased the inside railing and recreated it starting at the top of the stairs and finishing at the bottom. The bottom image shows the result I was looking for except for the double posts. I would like to know if my results are the result of a bug in creating railings or maybe the creation of the stairs. I would also like to know if when creating railings on stairs is it imperative to go up one side and back down the other even though that are not connected to each other. Any and all help is appreciated.

stairs 5 .jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Lingwisyer
Guru

Regarding the double posts, did you create extra hotspots on your landing to define it?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

I don't believe so. The steps taken to make the stairs are as follows. Select the stair tool and set all the parameters. I next click on the starting point of the stairs. The straight set of stairs is selected in the pet pallet. I next click on the end of the first straight section, I then change the selection on the pet pallet to the landing option. I then select the points that outline the landing, select the straight stair option and double click the ending point. There shouldn't be any extra hotspots. I don't think my steps were wrong. Any thoughts?

DGSketcher
Legend

The double posts are possibly there because of the length of the landing at the top/bottom of the flights. You can edit a stair to make posts invisible if that is your objective?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

There is no need to define where the landing starts and ends. By defining the landing points, you are defining End Posts, which if they do not exactly match up with the last tread, will result in an extra post.If you wish to keep those nodes, you should be able to use the Edit Mode to delete the extra posts.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660