Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Probably been asked a million times but how do I model...

Anonymous
Not applicable
A curved wall, i.e. a non horizontal wall plane, or a non horizontal curtain wall, for instance a wall in the shape of a 'c' in section view, not necessarily as dramatic as a 'c' but just curved in section or elevation. As far as I can tell it isn't doable so any help is appreciated, Thanks,

-Joe
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I once had that kind of problem. Back then i used the roof tools_ the polyarc roof_ instead of wall tools for creating the wall. You just draw the shape in the plan then you can trace it with the magic wand. But.... the modelling wasn't smooth and you just have to make more efforts to fix it up. For modelling, i think it's still doable.. hehehe.. That's the input from me.
Thx.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Joe,
A curved wall, i.e. a non horizontal wall plane, or a non horizontal curtain wall, for instance a wall in the shape of a 'c' in section view, not necessarily as dramatic as a 'c' but just curved in section or elevation. As far as I can tell it isn't doable so any help is appreciated, Thanks,

-Joe

It is not possible to have an organic shaped wall (in section view), but you could use either one of the two suggestions below:

1. use the object "Cylinder Horizontal" (at least that's what I think the object is called in the Int. version)

2. Do your wall in needed shape in plan view (with windows placed if needed) as you would want to see the shape in section view, with wall tool and so on. Make sure your finished prototype is placed with the lower wall corner in the project origin.
Activate object(s) and save it (them) as a library part (File/GDL Object/Save Selection as), place new object in plan view and select it. Then open the library part (File/GDL Object/Open object) to edit it:

Open the 3D script and type in a command that rotates your new object at the very beginning of the 3D script (just below all global value lines and above the lines where all elements are listed) Se approx. placement in pict.
Type: ROTX 90
(That would be the command for 90° rotation.)

To be able to see the wall object correct in plan view as well after rotating the 3D view, open up the object's 2D script an erase all the text in there + type in:
PROJECT2 3, 270, 2
Bild 1.png
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
2. Do your wall in needed shape in plan view (with windows placed if needed) as you would want to see the shape in section view, with wall tool and so on. Make sure your finished prototype is placed with the lower wall corner in the project origin.
Activate object(s) and save it (them) as a library part (File/GDL Object/Save Selection as), place new object in plan view and select it. Then open the library part (File/GDL Object/Open object) to edit it:

Open the 3D script and type in a command that rotates your new object at the very beginning of the 3D script (just below all global value lines and above the lines where all elements are listed) Se approx. placement in pict.
Type: ROTX 90
(That would be the command for 90° rotation.)

To be able to see the wall object correct in plan view as well after rotating the 3D view, open up the object's 2D script an erase all the text in there + type in:
PROJECT2 3, 270, 2

susanne i've tried to do what you have suggested to shape an elliptical wall (in elevation)... but... when i insert the object it is positioned in the outer space and not in the correct elevation i enter in the object settings what have done wrong???
Mac OSX 13.6.6 | AC 27 INT 5003 FULL
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi again,

susanne i've tried to do what you have suggested to shape an elliptical wall (in elevation)... but... when i insert the object it is positioned in the outer space and not in the correct elevation i enter in the object settings what have done wrong???

I think you've hade a user origin instead of the absolute origin but here we go again ...

1. draw your wall in plan view with the lower corner dead on absolute origin. The wall's height setting will become the "elevation" objects depth. See pict 1.

2. activate wall in plan view and select command "save selection as ..." /under File menu. Pict 1.

3. activate Object tool and place your new "wall object" in plan view + activate it to then go under the "File/GDL object/Open Object" command (pict. 2)

4. Add command for rotation in 3D-script (ROTX 90 for example) - under all global values and just above the 1st 3D scripts object (and its' command)
And delete all text in 2D script + type in
PROJECT2 3, 270, 2
See pict 3
Your new object changes appearance in plan view and you have to rotate/move it to position both here and in elevation view.

Of course this can be a lot more complicated but the above is the basic thing for creating an object from another tool's element.
(For more complex tries - check out the correct forum here in AC - Talk)

Make sure you have the Absolute origin activated (double click on the X in the Coordinate box to be sure it is not a local origin that U see in plan.
Djordje
Ace
JoeShmoe wrote:

-Joe
Did you try ArchiWall?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Depending on your actual use, you may also be able to use the profiler. It MAY be a simpler solution