Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Railing axis rotation

RVS
Contributor

Hi, prodigies,

Does anyone have an idea how to rotate the railing along the reference line (similar to beam axis rotation)? I've combined the snow barrier using the railing tool, which works okay until I need to modify the inclination to adjust to the roof object.

Does anybody know a better and more efficient way how to model similar roof components?

Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 22.58.01.png

Cheers,

Romas

5 REPLIES 5
Lingwisyer
Guru

Railing Settings => Railing => Segment => Segment Settings => Segment Slanting

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

Thanks,

The Segment looks slanted, but the custom inner and node posts (created as a Railing post object) are still vertical. Generic posts work okay.

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 16.53.11.png
runxel
Legend

If you know a tiny bit of GDL you could script your own railing post.

You'll need to derive the slanting angle however by yourself. It is given implicitly through a vector stored in the global "RAILINGPOST_TOP_COORD".

With a tiny bit of trigonometry the angle is easy to get and can be forwarded to a "ROTY" command:

tri_a = RAILINGPOST_TOP_COORD[1]
tri_b = RAILINGPOST_TOP_COORD[3]
tri_c = sqr(tri_a^2 + tri_b^2)
alpha = acs((tri_b^2 + tri_c^2 - tri_a^2)/(2*tri_b*tri_c))

roty alpha
!/*.... your geometry comes here */!

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
RVS
Contributor

Hi, to be honest, programming and GDL scripting is not my area 

Do I need to add this code to the 3D tab?

Yes, this would come into the 3D script. But if you're not familiar with coding in GDL it might be a bit hard to do everything correctly 😕

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»