BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

!Restored: Wall-Joining Clean Up -some basics?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok
I’m back to wondering how people get the wall cleanup to work correctly.

My problem-
Sometimes it works, and half the time or more I’m moving and resizing every wall junction at every single corner or angle where walls intersect or meet, moving 10 or more times until they snap.

What I want to learn is how to speed this process up without making every single wall a polywall. There is a way, right?

Ok for example…

Inside corners don’t trigger the joining (this looks messy, but in all the shots you can't "see" the mouse- I just dragged past the inner corners, released, tried it again, took a screenshot after selecting... I DID release the mouse when they touched...)

And…

Dragging on or the other to the middle or past makes no difference….

huh>?

…and I sit here and do this for about 2-3 minutes PER WALL, dragging and releasing the corners, trying different node and wall orientation selections (it makes no difference if they match or not), moving an resizing, stretching and manipulating, sometimes deleting and trying again.
I’ve read the tutorials and done the Graphisoft ones that I've found on line and on the dvd's. No luck. Some deep setting that needs to be changed or some button triggered or…???

Any ideas?
What gives???
What am I doing wrong here?
I'm experimenting with everything I can find, and I combed the forums for someone with the exact same issue (short of not "naming" the problem right it's only me)...

What’s the trick to not taking all day to “wall” a 20 room 3 story complex?
What settings ought I to try changing to get this clean-up wall joints to work in a far more effective manner????

Thanks in advance again!!!

p.s. If it matters,
ALL the walls have the same priority. I don't know what else might be making this issue a consistently sticking one except a pebkac error...
*grin*
14 REPLIES 14
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
TangoGrandma wrote:
Anything about changing the node-range for the clean up though? Pending walls being on the same level vs. starting at bottom elevation where the top of the other ends?
Nope. See my response, 3-posts-back (and you might want to cut back on the coffee)
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Djordje
Ace
There has to be an Alex Schamenek ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to turn off the auto-scrolling through objects that share one co-ordinate?
When I select a NODE at a multi-node intersection, the MOMENT I attempt to manipulate that object/node, it AUTO-SELECTS another one.
I've tried using the TAB in many different ways, but I haven't found a relationship that is consistent to WHAT EXACTLY the TAB does except allow us to SELECT the object in a multi-object area... but if one then clicks that node it goes to ANOTHER OBJECT without my having SPECIFIED that object.

So how do I turn this off?
I ONLY want to select a DIFFERENT object, after I've specified the object, by clicking a control key (such as TAB again) -otherwise I'd like to set up my app to stay working on the object I'm editing -WITHOUT HAVING TO MAKE OR HIDE NEW LAYERS.

Any help or ideas?
Can the software do it?

By the way, thanks in advance again- I noticed this week how many people are on here looking for help and it's a huge amount of users seeking help. That might be indictive of the software or simply of not enough of us finishing our tutorials. These issues don't exist in3dsmax, which just got picked up by AutoDESK which owns AutoCAD, Revit and all the rest.
Anonymous
Not applicable
TangoGrandma wrote:
Is there a way to turn off the auto-scrolling through objects that share one co-ordinate?
When I select a NODE at a multi-node intersection, the MOMENT I attempt to manipulate that object/node, it AUTO-SELECTS another one.
Select the object before trying to edit it, then select the tool that corresponds to the object you want to edit. E.g. the roof tool to edit a roof slab.
I've tried using the TAB in many different ways, but I haven't found a relationship that is consistent to WHAT EXACTLY the TAB does except allow us to SELECT the object in a multi-object area... but if one then clicks that node it goes to ANOTHER OBJECT without my having SPECIFIED that object.

So how do I turn this off?
I ONLY want to select a DIFFERENT object, after I've specified the object, by clicking a control key (such as TAB again) -otherwise I'd like to set up my app to stay working on the object I'm editing -WITHOUT HAVING TO MAKE OR HIDE NEW LAYERS.
When using the arrow tool, if you have quick selection turned on (the magnet button) an object will highlight when you hover over the top of it. A little blue box will pop-up and tell you what it is. It also tells you if there are multiple objects under the node you are hovering over. To cycle through them repeatedly press the TAB key until the one you want to select highlights. Left click to select.

If you have another tool selected you can force quick selection by holding down the shift key. Now when you hover over any object it will highlight as above. You can still cycle through multiple objects by pressing the TAB key whilst still holding the Shift key.
I noticed this week how many people are on here looking for help and it's a huge amount of users seeking help.
I haven't noticed it being any busier than normal recently, possibly around one hundred posts a day perhaps, with over 70% being answers. (As a guess!)
That might be indictive of the software or simply of not enough of us finishing our tutorials. These issues don't exist in3dsmax, which just got picked up by AutoDESK which owns AutoCAD, Revit and all the rest.
You reckon?

Have a look on the AUGI forums if you think Autodesk users don't have any problems!

Hope that helps a little with your selection problems!

(Edited cos I dont know my left from right! )
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
TangoGrandma wrote:
That might be indictive of the software or simply of not enough of us finishing our tutorials.
Per 'the almighty' Lachmi Khemlani:
The quality of the documentation in ArchiCAD can now be rated as outstanding, particularly the Interactive Training Guide. I have yet to see such an innovative and effective approach to training in the entire CAD/BIM world—and the best part of it is that it is free! Graphisoft deserves plenty of kudos for making such a concerted effort to provide effective training as part of the application, rather than forcing users to rely on professional help to learn to use it.
Apparently, GS is doing something right... Personally, I don't think there is any excuse for any new user over the past couple of years to not have completed the Training Guide.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!