Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof with varying slope

arg617
Contributor
I'm hoping someone can help me with a roof I'm trying to create. It's basically a shed roof where I would like the ridge fixed at a certain height (35') and the exterior wall fixed at 25'.

The problem I'm having is that the exterior wall is not parallel with the ridge. Here is the plan:

I first tried making a zoning envelope using the morph tool just to get an idea of the envelope I can work within for this project:

I end up with a flat portion at the ridge, where if I try to move the node the morph ends up creating a ridge line. So I tried a mesh, since I thought I can then use that in order to eventually use the "mesh to roof" tool, but the mesh also ends up creating an extra ridge - like this:

In section this ends up looking like this:

I feel like there must be a simple solution to both creating a morph with varying slope and creating a mesh with varying slope. Heck.....even a roof with varying slope should be easier.

Any pointers would be appreciated. I've spent hours at this and feel like I'm getting nowhere.

Thank you.
14 REPLIES 14
arg617 wrote:
... One side with a consistent roof pitch, the other with a varying pitch to account for the angled wall.
Is this not the shape of the roof you are after?

Post a free-hand sketch of what you need. Cell phone picture or something. Any shape roof can be modeled with ArchiCAD.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Barry Kelly
If you want to keep the top of both walls level then at a minimum you will need two sloping roofs.

Barry.
2xroofs.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Or a twisted shell.

The 2 flat roof is basically just a very simple version of this twisted shell.

Barry.
twisted_shell.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
arg617
Contributor
Thanks for all the feedback!

A twisted shell is probably the best way to explain it. I'm thinking that we can use straight rafters (16" o.c.) since we would know the high point, low point, and length that each member would need to be.

From there we should be able to add the roof sheathing with a slight bend to it. It's nothing dramatic, and I don't think it would be more difficult than a curved roof eave or eyebrow roof I seem to see a lot of. The bend we would have is more gentle than that, but it does basically extend through the entire roof.

Here are a couple of quick sketch models:

Very good! Yes, the twisted shell roof is perfect for that roof shape.

Tip: use a similar but flat plane roof to automatically generate the rafters with Roof Maker, then delete that roof and adjust the rafters individually to fit the curve of the twisted shell.

I am not sure it is worth using the twisted shell because it may not be detectable from the street anyway. You could let the plate line of the angled wall follow the slope of a regular smooth plage roof. ?
2017-03-01_12-00-58.png

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25