Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Running ArchiCAD on Virtual PC for Mac?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi -

I am an architectural student and am in the process of purchasing a Mac and ArchiCAD. I am a long time PC user and would like to run Windows on my Mac, thus I was considering purchasing Virtual PC for Mac, by Microsoft.

So here's my dilemma...
To operate ArchiCAD on my Mac, I need to be running either Windows or Mac OS. If I get Virtual PC, do I buy ArchiCAD for Windows? Or can I buy ArchiCAD for Mac? If I get ArchiCAD for Windows and run it through Virtual PC, does my Mac run any slower? Has anyone out there experienced this?

Or is the obvious thing to do is just get ArchiCAD for Mac, and get the Mac OS?

Any thoughts? Comments?

25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable
You would definitely not want to run archicad through virtual pc. It would be much too slow. The best thing to do is use virtual pc for only those programs that you cannot live without that do not have a mac equivalent. The new AC9 is crossplatform so one installation CD works for both mac and pc.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Millard - Thank you very much for the response. That definitely helps.
Djordje
Ace
You don't have to have a Mac; ArchiCAD works on both, the protection key is interchangeable, the installation CD is crossplatform.

Enjoy!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
glenn_peters
Contributor
But Djordje -- maybe he wants a Mac!

A recent issue of InfoWorld has some interesting coverage of IBM's Power5 CPU and how this RISC chip surpasses the 64-bit architecture from Intel and AMD.

Read the article on-line at:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/12/10/50FEpower5_1.html?s=feature

With Apple poised to use a version of these RISC chips in their high-end computers later this year (?), I would hope that the "dark period" for Mac users running ArchiCAD (AKA the late-1990s) is finally past.

(P.S. -- AC 9 runs very nicely on the new 1.8GHz iMac; I use VPC7 and Windows XP Pro on this same machine to run AutoCAD 2002 and the performance is acceptable for those rare times when I need to use that software)
Senior Associate, Chernoff Thompson Architects
ArchiCAD 16 (firm uses Revit)
Mac OS X 10.10 on Mac Pro (2013)
3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon w/64 GB RAM & Dual AMD FirePro D700 w/6 GB Graphics
1 TB SSD w/20 TB RAID 1
Asus PB287Q 4k UHD 28-inch monitor (3840x2160)
Djordje
Ace
glenn_peters wrote:
But Djordje -- maybe he wants a Mac!
No problems there!
glenn_peters wrote:
With Apple poised to use a version of these RISC chips in their high-end computers later this year (?), I would hope that the "dark period" for Mac users running ArchiCAD (AKA the late-1990s) is finally past.
I hope for you guys; the problem is, most of you never experienced the speed of ArchiCAD on the contemporary PC. Apple should finally bring the brunt.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
archislave
Enthusiast
When I became a new user of Archicad (9) in October I used it on my P4 1.8 notebook pc. I sold it and now use an iMac G5 20". It runs great and faster on the Mac - especially the graphics. The screen is the best quality I have ever seen.

But, the point is Mac OSX and the latest hardware from Apple provides a wonderful user experience. Archicad looks much better on the Mac as well, although the horizontal toolbars do not dock under the menus as well as on windows. (I will bring this up in another topic later).

But, the fonts and icons are better rendered in the Archicad GUI on the Mac. Looks very translucent and bright instead of gray and muddy! I believe it is just like good architecture - the look and feel can enhance your mood!
Archislave

archicad 16.0 US, iMac El Capitan
Aussie John
Newcomer
its a pity GS ruined the appearance of Archicad with the version 9 release
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
archislave
Enthusiast
In my opinion they greatly improved the interface in 9. But, they still have a long way to go toward modernization and simplification.
Archislave

archicad 16.0 US, iMac El Capitan
Dwight
Newcomer
Here's a good example of a wonderful interface where everything is properly anchored, connected and dense, maximising working screen area: LightWave

Note that this is entirely within the OS X shell, yet maintains its own efficient dialog style.
Dwight Atkinson