BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Shell Tool Curved Geometry

Josh Verran
Expert

I'm trying to create the below geometry using the Shell tool.

Screenshot 2023-06-26 133317.jpg

I can almost get the shape I'm after, but cannot curve the two longest sides as dashed below.

Screenshot 2023-06-26 133244.jpg

Hoping someone can please give me some guidance. 

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
6 REPLIES 6
Lingwisyer
Guru

As far as I know the Shell Tool iteself cannot do this. You can only curve and pitch the two ends. I would just SEO it with another shell.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
DGSketcher
Legend

This tutorial in the help may offer a solution...

Edit Shell Contour Polygon

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Fermat
Participant

You can just select the shell, right click and choose "Create Hole in shell".

Once that you placed the hole you can even select the hole by Shift + clicking on the edge generated by the hole itself:

this way you can Edit the perimeter of the hole, rotate the geometry or even modify the "Extrusion Depth" of the cut volume.

Schermata 2023-06-26 alle 14.33.12.png

Unfortunately you can't do everything you can do with Rhino, for instance, but probably this could work for your case!

Lingwisyer
Guru

But holes and the contour are vertical crops? Given the plan and elevations given, we need a horizontal crop... or can those be rotated too?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

I think the top perimeter crop in this case is fine.

The problem with Josh's model is that it seems to curve along 2 axii.

From A-A to B-B is a simple 'ruled' shell, transitioning from a flattish curve to a deeper curve along a flat (but sloping) axis.

That bit is fine.

But from the axis to each side it is transitioning from a flat profile(the axis) to a curved profile.

This could be done with 2 shells joined end to end at the axis.

The problem is, you can't combine both of the transition (from left to right and side to side) at the same time.

So there is a double curve in the element that I don't think Archicad can do.

Well it probably could as a morph, but I am not sure how you could manipulate it easily.

And there are also 'Nurbs' but this has to be programmed in GDL.

Or use a mesh and set the top heights as desired, duplicate it, drop on slightly and Solid Element Operation with subtract to get the thickness.

Possibly it could be modelled in another software and then imported into Archicad.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Josh Verran
Expert

Thanks for the tips and guidance guys.
I have some paths to consider.

I'm getting some usable results from the Rhino-Grasshopper connection, once/if I resolve it, I'll post results here.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
Learn and get certified!