Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Terrain mesh - distinguishing road from terrain

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have created a complex terrain mesh of a steeply sloping site from a surveyors' drawing. At the bottom of the hill is a roadway, which I have included in the mesh. I now would like to visually distinguish the roadway from the rest of the terrain my giving it a different cover fill. Is it possible to apply separate cover fills to different parts of a mesh?

I have also tried splitting the mesh, which works only along a straight line, but I need to split it along the shape of the road, which is curved. Any suggestions for getting the desired effect of showing the road in the 3D model?

Many thanks, Jan

Terrain.jpg
4 REPLIES 4
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Hi !

Here maybe
AC12_27 |Win11_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
The easiest way to do this is to create another mesh set at the height of the roadway that you propose. Then apply SEO using the road mesh as the operator and the terrain as the target Set to subtract with upward extrusion Maybe also set the operator (your road) about 250mm below the surface of the terrain If the is a slight incline you can then set the road node points to suit the rise in the terrain Have fun
Anonymous
Not applicable
The simplest way to do this is to make a slab with the outlines of the road that extends above the surface of the mesh. Then use SEO to intersect the slab (target) with the mesh (operator). Finally subtract the road from the mesh. (Sometimes this recursive operation will make problems in which case you can make a copy of the mesh or road on a hidden layer to use as a spare operator.)
Eduardo Rolon
Matthew wrote:
The simplest way to do this is to make a slab with the outlines of the road that extends above the surface of the mesh. Then use SEO to intersect the slab (target) with the mesh (operator). Finally subtract the road from the mesh. (Sometimes this recursive operation will make problems in which case you can make a copy of the mesh or road on a hidden layer to use as a spare operator.)
Update for AC17 and forward.
Because of BimMats the you need to either use Meshes for all the operators or if you use slabs then these have to be on a layer with a different intersection number. The reason for changing the intersection number is to avoid the interaction between the Slabs used for SEOs and the other objects.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator