Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Wall Accessory Goodie or Badie ?

mthd
Ace

Hi to all timber wall framing users of AC. Has anyone been able to explode the wall framing object that creates the framing for a wall ? I need to display noggins or blocking mid way up the wall and to make many other edits that are not available in the parameters list. Also to edit the number of plates to top and bottom. To cut back to single header and it not auto default back to 90mm thickness.

I am not GDL minded so I don’t think I need to be in order to use AC down to a finer level of detail.

This accessory could be updated to allow for blocking, insulation, bracing and other necessary things for it to be useable on a structural level (Including tie down bolts and framing brackets etc).

Please also make it explodable so we can edit all framing members as we wish, for all our custom wall framing needs.

Edit: Please see this post about the same tool for more information about what could be done to improve it for us all.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Modeling/Wall-framing-accessory-question/td-p/319759

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon Ventura

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
12 REPLIES 12
mthd
Ace

@Barry Kelly @Wrote: 

“You can classify your morph as a beam, or a column or a framing stud or what ever you want.

This will allow you to include it in a framing schedule, but the problem then is, that a morph has different geometry to a beam or column.”

That’s good that we can schedule it in a framing schedule. That schedule wouldn’t be automatically generated in AC, I would have to create a custom one for my framing members ?

Edited: I found something that might help my cause, if I am able to find a CI tools select library wall framing part #2013. See this tip and trick from Central Innovations.

https://centralinnovation.com/technical-resources/tips-and-tricks/schedule-timber-wall-framing-easil...

Solution

Yes you have to create your schedule and tell it what criteria you want to find and what fields (values) you want to output.

BarryKelly_1-1710301708344.png

But as you can see here, morphs do not have lengths, heights and widths.

The only thing that is common would be surface material or building material.

And maybe you could to a sum with total for the element IDs to get a count.

So, I probably should not have mentioned the classification, as you really can't get much useful information from it.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mthd
Ace

Hey Barry, thank you for the help on how to go about scheduling timber framing quantities. Always appreciate your expert help as you definitely know how to use AC correctly. 

The framing object from CI tools #2013 was in my select library and it is definitely more useful than the goodies Wall Accessory tool. There is even the start of a QTO (Quantity Take Off) schedule in the Australian template that I can expand and build upon.

Since I have Chief Architect X10 as well and I am more familiar with that than Archicad, I will use that for my estimating of all building materials. By the time I model up a relatively simple residential building in CAX10 I can more easily build framing and extract quantities more quickly in that application. That’s not to say that a native AC user who has much experience can probably do it in a similar time frame.

I think @SenecaDesignLLC, would be able to do it just as fast like you and many other experienced users can.

Still, I must learn the AC method as well because when the building becomes more complex, then AC will come into its own.

Setup info provided by author