cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

best approach to detail modeling - residential - 6500 sf

Anonymous
Not applicable
this may simply be too braod of a topic, but, is there a best way to tackle a project? I have never used a BIM software to its full potential and have concerns about my ability to efficiently model in detail.

I have 11, 3 story homes to produce. currently they are basically modeled. they look right in plan, but with rough floor plates, window and door placement the 3d model is still chaotic. and the roof with exposed rafter tails is not yet modeled.

should i generalize the floor plate thicknesses (gyp, truss, decking, ff material), then detail it out in 2d?

how detailed should i get into the model. I know some people will build stick by stick ,but i dont think i need this level.

i am starting by taking what i have and setting new, accurate levels, using the thickness from gyp ceiling to finish floor as the plate thickness. and attempt accurately setting up all my windows and doors. then i will give the roof a shot.

any direction woudl be great.
4 REPLIES 4
How you create a Building Information Model depends on the information you plan to extract from it.

Are you making a materials list? Will you be extracting information for uses with thermal calcs?

I see that you are from Texas which means you don't need much at all for a building permit.

In any case, let the construction process be your guide as for when to model what. After you have finished working out the floor plans and roofs, go back and model the project just like it will be constructed.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
the ideal way would be to model it as it is built, however, there are a few things that can restrict this theory.
the main one i believe is time/cost. how much your being paid for the job and how much time you can commit to the project definately determines how much detail you include.

another one is what is actually being seen on the drawings you produce, theres no point in placing every joist hanger if your only producing a few sections.

finally, by drawing every detail in you start to get lots of lines and confusing information.

i try and put in the information required for anyone looking at the drawings to be able to fully understand what is to be produced, pull out details from sections/elevations where necessary. that is the idea of plans afterall.

i will however have a view layout especially for 3d renders if required, these will usually have more details
knosaj wrote:
I have 11, 3 story homes to produce. currently they are basically modeled. they look right in plan, but with rough floor plates, window and door placement the 3d model is still chaotic. and the roof with exposed rafter tails is not yet modeled....
11! I do not have enough work. Send me one of those plans and I will clean it up and trun it into a very good template for you that you can use for the other 10.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks steve, that doesnt sound too bad!