cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

editing story levels

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi folks,
Just wondering how I can change the story level without adjusting the actual heights of whats on that level. So, in section I just want to move the story level line but keep the walls at the height they are at. Is it possible to do this without resetting the heights of all elements of that level?
One other thing. Is it possible to ghost more than one level. I have a building that is cascading down a slope with three levels but would like to show all three levels in the one plan as they are not on top of each other.

Thanks.
Luke

levels prob.jpg
17 REPLIES 17
Dwight
Newcomer
Situations this complex are better managed with clever layer combinations than story controls.

You might make a separate story for the roof elements.....
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Dwight,
Yeah thats what ive ended up doing. Any idea on the changing story level height without moving the elements that are on it?
Thanks.
Luke.
Dwight
Newcomer
No. But the workaround would be to group everthing residing on a story so that you could adjust the "Z" in one go after changing story height...
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Dwight. The logical solution.
I did try selecting the elements and setting them to a reference level
instead of the story level before resetting the story level. That seemed to work but havnt used reference levels before so dont know what the repercutions of that are. The help menu would resolve that one i guess. : )
Luke.
Djordje
Ace
Always think of a storey as a plan.

What would you show on one plan? All three levels, right? Then, let them all be at the same storey, and move them up and down as needed.

Then the stories above.

ALWAYS have a separate storey for the roof, foundations, site plan.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Djordje,
In retrospect that makes sence. Thanks again.
Luke.
KeesW
Advocate
I think that the idea of storeys is more complicated than it seems when one is dealing with split levels. I've got a job to an existing building with multiple split levels, varying by about 1.4 - 1.7 m. Having decded to use only two main storeys for floors (plus storeys for roof and footings as recommended), I struck a snag with cutting planes. These are related to storeys, not slab levels. Whist it was set correctly for the main level, it missed the walls on a split level and doors in those walls disappeared. I had to adjust the cutting plane to compensate.

Should cutting planes be linked to slab levels, rather than storeys?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
Split levels will always be a bit difficult (they were in the manual days too). The Floor Plan Cut Plane makes them more so now though since it is at at one uniform height. Workarounds for now:

1. Don't use automatic walls and openings. Thus no FPCP issues, ie. do it the old way.

2. Use multiple views with different FPCP settings and piece them together in the layout. I'm not sure this is worth the trouble just for the automatic walls and openings.

There is a wish (which GS is aware of) to be able to stagger the FPCP similar to the sections.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
.....ALWAYS have a separate storey for the roof, foundations, site plan.

Why site plan? I thought every one is sing 1st floor & Site at one story with proper layer set up?
Thaks,
Joseph