Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

fill types: Change symbol pattern to a Vectorial pattern?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to modify a symbol pattern to a Vectorial pattern in my fill types? For some reason some of my patterns are in the symbol fill and I want to put them all together in the Vectorial pattern category.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly
Again post moved to 'Working in Archicad'.

No a symbol fill pattern can not be turned into a vectorial fill.

Vectorial fills are pre-set in Archicad and all we can do is duplicate them and adjust the spacing and angle of the lines. Basically they are just a line or lines that repeat.

Symbol fills are the only ones we can truly customise with a pattern of our choosing.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Again post moved to 'Working in Archicad'.

No a symbol fill pattern can not be turned into a vectorial fill.

Vectorial fills are pre-set in Archicad and all we can do is duplicate them and adjust the spacing and angle of the lines. Basically they are just a line or lines that repeat.

Symbol fills are the only ones we can truly customise with a pattern of our choosing.

Barry.
Is there any way to create new vectorial fills? I found some old posts where was explained that it is possible to create new vectorial fills to the gdl-objects and then import fills to the project? Is it still possible and how it is actually done?
Barry Kelly
Aki wrote:
Is there any way to create new vectorial fills? I found some old posts where was explained that it is possible to create new vectorial fills to the gdl-objects and then import fills to the project? Is it still possible and how it is actually done?
You will want to look at DEFINE FILL in GDL.
Once you have done this I believe it will appear in the Attribute Manager and you can then export it (save as AAT file).
Or if the GDL object you define the fill in is in your loaded library then the fill will already be there for your use.

But all you will probably be doing is creating versions of the existing vectorial fills which you can just duplicate and adjust the line spacing, rotation, scale, etc.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
You will want to look at DEFINE FILL in GDL.
Once you have done this I believe it will appear in the Attribute Manager and you can then export it (save as AAT file).
Or if the GDL object you define the fill in is in your loaded library then the fill will already be there for your use.

But all you will probably be doing is creating versions of the existing vectorial fills which you can just duplicate and adjust the line spacing, rotation, scale, etc.

Barry.
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/211067/insulation-hatch

I'm looking for a insulation fill pattern which looks like that. I think it is not possible to do that with any of the existing fills.
runxel
Legend
Aki wrote:
I'm looking for a insulation fill pattern which looks like that. I think it is not possible to do that with any of the existing fills.
I don't know the finnish template, but I'm pretty sure there is a soft insulation fill under "symbol fills".
Fills don't need to be a "vectorial fill" to get used in a BMAT.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text | My List of AC shortcomings & bugs | I Will Piledrive You If You Mention AI Again |

POSIWID – The Purpose Of a System Is What It Does /// «Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
runxel wrote:
I don't know the finnish template, but I'm pretty sure there is a soft insulation fill under "symbol fills".
Fills don't need to be a "vectorial fill" to get used in a BMAT.
Yes I have used symbol fills and created my own as well, but the problem with those are that the file size of exported DWG is huge, if there is even one symbolic fill in use.

I know that there is another solution for that, using pre-defined fill to hatch -table but it would be easier by using only vectorial fills in Archicad.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Aki,

Vectorial Fills have certain limitations in how they can be constructed.
Vectorial Fills are always composed of a series of line segments, which are then repeated in a tile-like pattern.
The curved Insulation pattern you are showing in those images are more complex than that. So the best way to create those is by drawing the pattern, then creating a Symbol Fill based on that.

Symbol Fill have another advantage over Vectorial Fills. When you assign the Cut Fill to a Building Material in the Building Materials Dialog, you can set its Fill Orientation, to "Fit to Skin", which means that regardless of how wide the Symbol Fill Pattern as defined to be, it will stretch to fill the width of the Composite Skin it is applied to in Composite Structures and Complex Profiles, if possible.

Vectorial Fills do not have this option.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
"laszlonagy" wrote:

I have noticed the limitations of vectorial fills and I rather use symbolic fills in AC. It is very convenient to create new ones in a few seconds.

But the problem with large dwg:s is something which really should be solved. I thought that vectorial fills could be the answer but maybe it's not.