Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

multiple Shells = slow rebuild

Tom Krowka
Booster
Have made railing balusters from 360 degree revolved shell. Baluster has curves but is not very complicated. Saved it as a library object.
There are probably several hundred of them on this project, on multiple levels. Rebuild time has slowed way down.
Any way to simplify the shell or anything else to speed up rebuild?

After sizing, baluster file size is only 7 KB.

Thanks.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
17 REPLIES 17
Tom Krowka
Booster
Zip file attached
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I checked the script.
Actually, there are two versions of the REVOLVEDSHELL command. The first will do it with the resolution of 36 so it will give you this many polygons.
When you save it as GSM it is saved with this GDL command.
The other GDL command is REVOLVESHELLANGULAR and has two more parameters. In that version you can specify a resolution. I added this option so it will basically create a 16-segment vesrion of the balustrade. The number of polygons will be cut in half but the segments will be visible, so I dont know if that is a good solution, and also it does not reduce the polygon count that much (only 50%, not 90%, which would really be significant).
So I don't know what else could be done about this.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why not draw it as a complex profile, then simply use the wall tool set to curved, with the center point and radius selected? I would assume it would be much faster than dealing with all those polygons.
Foster
Tom Krowka
Booster
Hey John:

Good idea on the complex profile and curved wall. I tried it.....polygon count is down to 802, which is an improvement over Lazlo's revision as well.

That's why I like the forum.....large group with different ways to do things.

Thanks again.

Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom,

Glad that it worked out for you! I wasn't entirely sure that the poly count would be less than Lazlo's, but am pleased to hear that it worked out. And I agree, this forum is a great resource.

Best,
John
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Tom wrote:
To clarify a bit.....tried using the Profiler....but was not able to figure out a way to create it using that tool. Am assuming it has to be done in plan, right?
I am attaching a pdf file of the Profiler instructions.

Objects created with Profiler will use the RESOL statement (it is near the top of the automatically generated 3D Script), so this is another way to reduce the polygon count. The RESOL could be made into a parameter, so the objects' polygon count could be easily user controlled to get the best appearance vs. speed.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Tom Krowka
Booster
Will try this method also......will let you know the polygon count FYI.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Tom Krowka
Booster
revolved profiler method give an object with polygon count over 5000. Curved wall method with profiler gives least polygon count.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com