Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

outline only wall bug?

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I just noticed when walls are created using "outline only", doors and windows do not show up. Is this a bug?
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
7 REPLIES 7
TomWaltz
Participant
Check your Floor Plan Cutting Plane. It may not be going through the wall.
Tom Waltz
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Cutting plane is fine. When I change the wall to "symbolic", or anything else, the windows and doors reappear.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Stephen wrote:
I just noticed when walls are created using "outline only", doors and windows do not show up. Is this a bug?
I noticed this this weekend -- don't know if it's intentional or a bug -- LJY.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Erika Epstein
Booster
I've experienced this too on several files and computers.
Has everyone reported this as a bug?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
__archiben
Booster
Stephen wrote:
this is probably intentional isn't it? the 'outline' method of displaying a wall is intended as a non-cut, top-down view . . . therefore wall openings wouldn't show would they? if you are trying to hide wall hatching and skin lines through a wall that passes through the cut plane you should use the model view options rather than represent the wall in a fundamentally different way.

and if you're trying to show low-level openings in a low-level walls, maybe a new view with a lower cut plane?

unless i'm misunderstanding you . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Erika Epstein
Booster
Ben, I guess the rest of us should be green with envy rather than you.

What you says makes sense as we can already control the wall showing as outlines and windows with our display options.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
__archiben
Booster
Erika wrote:
What you says makes sense as we can already control the wall showing as outlines and windows with our display options.
yep. graphisoft are clearly trying to move away from a graphically represented plan view. sections and elevations are already model views but the plan is hanging back in the dark ages (think SEOs). i think the wall display-type principle should run something like this...

if it is possible to display an element 'automatically' from a model representation ("projected") then that's the base line that we should work from. from that point there may be elements that don't graphically display the way we want them too relative to all of the other 'projected' elements and the cut plane. if that's the case then the other display types come into play: in order to change how the entire element's graphical display behaves relative to the projected cut plane.

because graphisoft completely underestimated the extent of the graphical representation requirements, they had to include an option that behaved like the existing archicad 9 element display behaviour. hence we have the 'own storey only' combined with 'symbolic cut' option for when we can't fake it with altered display projections . . .

and the reason why the accessories were no longer included out of the box? because they don't play nice with the 'automatic' projected display behaviour of the elements they are accessorising - another issue that has to be factored in when deciding how to display your elements...

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup