Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

rotation in 3d

Anonymous
Not applicable
hello there.
do you know if and how can i rotate an object in 3d ?
for example i have a neon lamp that sends the light down and i want to send it on the left or on the right
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
WENDY_NEVERLAND wrote:
hello there.
for example i have a neon lamp that sends the light down and i want to send it on the left or on the right
Use the 3D window elevational view to look at the light object (the way that you would wish to see it in plan). Now save the light object as a new GDL object using the File>Libraries and objects>Save 3D model as.

Give it a new name and save into a project specific library. Load that library then you can use the new object which will now be facing sideways.
Anonymous
Not applicable
WENDY_NEVERLAND wrote:
hello there.
If you don't have any rotateaxis variables in parameterlist, then you will have to do as Philip said. (Or, there are way more ways too go, but that needs more knowledge about GDL)
Anonymous
Not applicable
yeah i thought so. i do it this way but it takes too much time and i thought maybe there was an easier one.
thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
Then the way to go is to program a rotateaxis variable into the parameter list in the object GDL as Tobias suggested. That way you can instantly adjust the object to suit your project every time you use.

If you do amend any standard ArchiCAD Library object, it's a good idea to save it with a new name in a custom library of your own. Then you won't loose it if you ever have to reinstall ArchiCAD or overwrite the standard library.

Hope this helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
it sounds really good but im not so much into the GDL programming. ill try thought its about time to start!.
thanks a lot
Anonymous
Not applicable
Got much the same problem but the save in elevation trick doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions for this please?

I have need to create a curved top to some curtain walling, back to the main wall/fascia. (90 deg, 2m rad barrel vault)

Now it does CW in Vert, Sloping, Curved on Plan, but NOT Curved on Section.
(If it does, please tell me how!!!)

So I made up a Curved on Plan assembly, which has the equivalent of 5 mullions and 3 transoms with curved glass, all stood up on end (like the side of a quarter of a tin).

All I need to do is rotate it 90 degrees on the Y axis and lift it onto the vertical glazing.

Just can't seem to crack it.

I am not into GDL (although I have opened up the text file for the assembly - and shut it again pdq) so a graphical, pick and rotate solution is what I am after.

Any good ideas?
Anonymous
Not applicable
if you send me a sketch of what you want to do maybe i could help. my english is not so good to understand what you are trying to do
for me though this save as GDL ogject and then use it as a library part works fine
good luck
Anonymous
Not applicable
Granville wrote:
Got much the same problem but the save in elevation trick doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions for this please?
You should not save in elevation view, you should open 3d view, and move camera so you are looking at your object from above and then choose to save as GDL object.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Granville wrote:

There may be some confusion about references to elevation and plan view. Once you create the object in plan you need to view it (in the 3D window) in the plane that you wish to convert it to. The current elevational view will later be the plan.

Here is a quick illustration. I have used a simple curved wall but this works with any complex structure that you can build in plan from walls, slabs, roofs etc etc. - even other gdl objects.