Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

shell tool : curve on 4 sides

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I need a shell plate with curves adjustable on 4 sides (not just 2 sides), how can I do?
or any other tools can achive this?
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
DGSketcher
Legend
See if this help article on ruled shells helps...

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/24/INT/#t=_AC24_Help%2F040_ElementsVB%2F040_ElementsVB-124.htm&rhsear...
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello DGSketcher, but
in rules mode, there are still only 2 sides rules, now I need 4 rules on 4 sides....4 sides has to be curved
I had tried spliting it to 2 triangles with 2 rules each, but the joint not matched,

and any other methods?
Regards
Barry Kelly
There is a very old post here with a "tentmaker" object.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=34271&sid=60f5113ac5263c2e02f4f07e260c8fd8#p342...

I did see a post in 2013 from Oliver Denton saying there was an updated object - but there is no longer any link in that post.

The old one should still work and once yo have the shape you can convert to a morph if need be (although that will be hard to edit further if you need to).

Maybe a bit of googling for "tentmaker" or "shade sail" might find some newer results.
Oliver hasn't been active here since 2014.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
hello Barry,
yes that GSM is indeed good, and how to make it (with shell tool or etc?) because i have a precise fine curve by myself on 3 sides....

Regards
I seem to recall the Italians posting a NURBS GDL object. That might also work?
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
DGSketcher
Legend
You should be able to achieve what you want with a Morph. In the attached I created a box Morph. Set the corner heights. Used the curve tool vertically on the top edges. The back edge was split in two and equal +/-ve curves used. You may see the top face distort with exaggerated edges while forming this. To get around this, delete just the top face and then use the Morph > Cover with faces or the Solidify option to put the top face back. This seems to even out the surface mesh. The other thing you can do is select the edges and use the Morph > Modify Segmentation option on the curves. If you need to give the surface a thickness, the best I can suggest is create a copy lowered by the required thickness and subtract the copy from the original.

Here's a GS video that might help you understand what I did...
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/134883/
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I recall an old but still brilliant object scripted by the legendary Petri Leskinen. (Unfortunately we never had any feedback from him after all these years).
It was called "Mesh 3D". I think it will do the trick.
You can find it here.
It was also used in this thread.
Hope this helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
oh ya, morph made it. Mesh tool maybe tested later

Nurbs function is good at Maya etc but not in BIM softwares

Thanks DGSketcher and all