BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

solid element toll and walls vanish in 3d

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

When I solid element a wall in to a complex profile it vanishes when I go to 3D view and I can't find ? is it a wall /layer number issue ?

Any help anyone I would very greatful - thanks Myles....
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Barry this is the complex profile element highlighted for your assistance ....
Lingwisyer
Guru
Try changing the layer your profile is on to one with a different Intersection Group to the rest of your walls. If the reference line of your wall is joining to that of your profile, it might be trimming.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Ling tried that no go ... ;(
Lingwisyer
Guru
What happens when you move both your normal walls and your profile away from the neighbouring buildings? This is a very different situation with a slightly similar outcome, but I have had in the past walls disappear leaving the windows floating in space when reference lines of different walls intersect in mirrored modules.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly
I am not entirely sure without trying to set this all up.
Your curved roof is actually a wall and of course walls will automatically try to trim/join each other vertically when the reference lines touch.
So that may be why that wall disappears - it is trimming at the corner vertically but because the 'roof' has a curved top it may be complicating things a bit.

The tall curved wall doesn't touch the 'roof' reference line so is not being trimmed.

You could make the 'roof' a complex profile beam or just place it in a different layer to the other walls.
Then in the layers ensure those two wall layers have different intersection priority numbers - so they don't trim each other.

Then if you do want to trim anything you can use Solid Element Operations.
You may still have to split up the 'roof' complex profile as I showed before though so there are upper and lower separate profiles.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
It seems both Ling and I think it is because the wall reference lines are touching and therefore they are trimming automatically.
I am pretty sure that is the case.

Changing the roof profile to a beam and placing it again with the beam tool should fix it i think.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry.... it worked by reserving the complex profiles as walls and beams ....

thanks
Learn and get certified!