BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Architect wants to process the surveyor data received

claudia_architect
Contributor

Hi all,

I'm an architect looking for advice on how to effectively process surveyor data for my design projects. I often receive surveyor deliverables in various formats, including point clouds, CAD files, and aerial imagery. I'm looking for a streamlined approach to organize, analyze, and interpret this data to inform my design decisions.

Which software tools and techniques are most commonly used by architects to process surveyor data? Can anyone recommend specific software packages or workflows that have proven helpful in their practice?

I'm particularly interested in tools that can:

• Clean and organize surveyor data to remove noise, inconsistencies, and outliers.
  • Analyze spatial relationships and patterns in the data to identify key features and site constraints.
  • Generate accurate 3D models of the site based on surveyor data.
  • Integrate surveyor data with other design data, such as CAD drawings and BIM models.

Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Archicad 26 - DE
4 REPLIES 4
Srinivas
Booster

As far as cleaning and organising your surveyor data is considered, Cloud compare is a great tool to start with https://www.cloudcompare.org/ 

ArchiCAD Services
ArchiCAD since v9 to latest
iMac, Windows 10
claudia_architect
Contributor

Thank you for pointing me to this tool. How can I get the buildings extracted to work in Archicad?

Archicad 26 - DE

After you clean and organise the surface date in the Cloud Compare, you can export to e57 or XYZ format from Cloud Compare and then import those point clouds into Archicad.   

ArchiCAD Services
ArchiCAD since v9 to latest
iMac, Windows 10
claudia_architect
Contributor

Hi Srinivas,

thank you. These formats seem to work for the importing pretty well.

Is there a way to convert the individual points into planes or morphs? Or is this a manual process?

Many thanks,

Claudia

Archicad 26 - DE
Learn and get certified!