Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Comprehensive Electrical ISS and custom symbols...

Andy Thomson
Advisor
Here at Altius we are just finding a need to have a faster, smarter way of doing electrical schedules. We are considering some kind of meta-part/object that can take whatever name/polygon boundary we need, where the object ID can read from the centre of the object, and be called in the ISS.

I have all the standard NCS, and Cadimage symbols, but they are mere 'dumb' symbols, or not graphically representative of conventions in the US and Canada. Can anyone recommend an approach, object, or scheduling methodology?

This is primarily for large, high-end residential, but also hi-rise residential work....

A
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
31 REPLIES 31
__archiben
Booster
andyro wrote:
... and Cadimage symbols, but they are mere 'dumb' symbols, or not graphically representative of conventions in the US and Canada.
are you looking at the cadimage rapid details 3 elements? there are two objects: one containing all electrical parts that allows symbol creation and editing, the other is a schedule element that reads all of the various placed symbols in the above....

i haven't played with it much, but it looks as though you could make your own symbol variants . . . or indeed 'random things'

any use?
ben
randomThing.jpg
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
andyro wrote:
Here at Altius we are just finding a need to have a faster, smarter way of doing electrical schedules. We are considering some kind of meta-part/object that can take whatever name/polygon boundary we need, where the object ID can read from the centre of the object, and be called in the ISS.

I have all the standard NCS, and Cadimage symbols, but they are mere 'dumb' symbols, or not graphically representative of conventions in the US and Canada. Can anyone recommend an approach, object, or scheduling methodology?

This is primarily for large, high-end residential, but also hi-rise residential work....

A
I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for. The polygon meta-tool sounds like a zone. Is the idea to schedule the electrical bits in each room? You should be able to do this with zones; maybe even with the dumb parts you already have. I've done some work on this in the past and may be able to help if I have a clearer idea of what you are after.
__archiben
Booster
symbol setup and variants -->
b e n f r o s t
__archiben
Booster
and the schedule -->
b e n f r o s t
TomWaltz
Participant
I would think you would need to make most of these parameters of the objects and the label seen in plan would be almost incidental, since you cannot schedule the label itself.... unless I'm misunderstanding you.
Tom Waltz
Andy Thomson
Advisor
I will post the key and a sample ISS tomorrow to give a sense of what we are trying to develop. The object(s) placed to indicate various fixtures need only be a graphic representation with an ID.

I have seen the rapid detailer object and schedule, but it is not especially helpful for us unfortunately....I will also send a screenshot of the absolutely crazy 1950's playboy-mansion-type building we are renovating, such that we need such a workflow. I have never seen so many switches in my life.

It does look like your cadimage random thing is an upgrade of the one I have, will need to download and take a look - but are you actually using it??
Director
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
LiHigh
Newcomer
Andy,

If I understand u Correctly, a simple GDL obj using "FRAGMENT2" & pre-defined device name would do the job.....
Howard Phua

Win 10, Archicad 19 INT
Andy Thomson
Advisor
This is what we want the object to be able to do....basically, be a multifunctional, single object. We will do a separate ISS for switches, lights and other stuff (speakers, HRV, etc) The screenshot is merely a representation of the different states of the same object.

The names/ID, ie. 'XENON' are just simply typed into the ID field in the infobox, switches are simply typed in as $$$ (for three gang) in the same ID field. In this case, '$$$$$$18' refers to a particular switch in the schedule, 18, which may be an additional field, just custom text called 'model' or something
Picture 3.png
Director
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you would be better off with a few simple parts rather than a single all purpose one. I have always found that this saves both in the writing of the parts and in the using of them. It seems that what you want is fairly easily accomplished.