Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Comprehensive Electrical ISS and custom symbols...

Andy Thomson
Advisor
Here at Altius we are just finding a need to have a faster, smarter way of doing electrical schedules. We are considering some kind of meta-part/object that can take whatever name/polygon boundary we need, where the object ID can read from the centre of the object, and be called in the ISS.

I have all the standard NCS, and Cadimage symbols, but they are mere 'dumb' symbols, or not graphically representative of conventions in the US and Canada. Can anyone recommend an approach, object, or scheduling methodology?

This is primarily for large, high-end residential, but also hi-rise residential work....

A
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable
Archigon is one classy object! Elegant, versatile, and handsome, this will be a major productivity enhancement.

Thanks for sharing!!!
Dwight
Newcomer
andyro wrote:
It is stupid to have 2 sets of lights, some for rendering, others for scheduling, as it creates 2x the work.

C) "...under the Atkinson Doctrine, you shouldn't use the project's 'real' lights to illuminate a rendering..." - I disagree here, but Dwight has good reasons.
In the real world, photographers bring their own lighting to the scene. That's because your lighting is lousy. Architects get away with lousy lighting because the brain and eye work together to assemble a scene memory that erases lighting flaws. The iris adjusts to compensate for different light levels that exceed the latitude of film. The photographer diffuses brightness and fills shadows. Andy can wehine all he likes about how wrong this is, but anyone photographing an interior without boosting the light levels gets bad results.

Certainly, some rendering applications have secret ways to address this problem without adding lights. Archicad can boost the ambient light level to eradicate dark shadows, Artlantis uses prolonged light energy decay to keep rays bouncing into shadows, and other applications make surfaces artificailly radiant. It is a cheat just the same.

That's just one reason.

Other reasons to use an artifical illumination regime include:

-- simplified adjustments of light levels - the more actual light sources, the longer it takes to tune them.

-- the more shadow-casting lights there are, the longer the rendering takes without added realism.
Dwight Atkinson
TomWaltz
Participant
Dwight wrote:
andyro wrote:
It is stupid to have 2 sets of lights, some for rendering, others for scheduling, as it creates 2x the work.

C) "...under the Atkinson Doctrine, you shouldn't use the project's 'real' lights to illuminate a rendering..." - I disagree here, but Dwight has good reasons.
In the real world, photographers bring their own lighting to the scene. That's because your lighting is lousy. Architects get away with lousy lighting because the brain and eye work together to assemble a scene memory that erases lighting flaws. The iris adjusts to compensate for different light levels that exceed the latitude of film. The photographer diffuses brightness and fills shadows. Andy can wehine all he likes about how wrong this is, but anyone photographing an interior without boosting the light levels gets bad results.
<snip>
That's a pretty common argument that will likely never be truly solved because it's strictly an opinion matter:
Should renderings look like they will really look when built or are they an artistic representation that should be made to look as good as possible (even if it means taking liberties with some aspects of reality)?
Tom Waltz
Dwight
Newcomer
Both.

But to even HAVE this argument is to deny reality.

The challenge is that the rendering must represent, in one image, the MEMORY of the space assembled in the brain by many glances of the eye as it adjusts iteself to cope with changing light levels.

To do this means fillng the shadows and diffusing the highlights.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
That's a pretty common argument that will likely never be truly solved because it's strictly an opinion matter:
Should renderings look like they will really look when built or are they an artistic representation that should be made to look as good as possible (even if it means taking liberties with some aspects of reality)?
There will no doubt be differences of opinion about what makes a good rendering, but to imagine that there is such a thing as what the building will "really" look like, or that a flat image can truly represent that, are fallacies.

We don't see with our eyes, we see with our brains. A rendering is not the reality, it is an abstraction of what we imagine the reality to be from the images in our brains. (Ce ne pas un pipe.) This means that a rendering is inevitably a work of art (whether good, bad or in between) and the artist (architect) must decide what to show and how to present the information.
Anonymous
Not applicable
andyro wrote:
Just posted for download last night:

http://www.archicad.ca/?p=52

The object I wished I had 2 years ago!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have downloaded this and I would like to try to use it. When I place the hot link module, I go through the rigamarole, but then it is looking ofr add ons.

Does any one know how I go about wokring with this?
Thanks.
Andy Thomson
Advisor
You don't need any add-ons. If it prompts you for add-on data (I use lots of add-ons, and I might have forgotten to unload them when I saved the MOD file, sorry - they are irrelevant to functioning of electrigon, as it is just a simple library part), unclick the checkbox and load the module. You will need to save the three electrigon parts (GSM objects, Lamp, Outlet, Switch) into your office library. Once these are in your library - reload and that's all there is to it. The purpose of loading the module is simply to show you the possible variations of the object(s) - and to load the xls file as an interactive schedule.

Post again if this doesn't work for you...
Director
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Again.
So what ever my problem was before is solved. Thank You.
Now- I am getting the swithc object, and the outlet object, but I am not getting the lamp object.
Even if I don't load them through libraries- If I just load them individually I get the first two, but, not the other.
What do you think about that?
Andy Thomson
Advisor
The lamp subtype is accessed through the 'light' symbol in the toolbar, not the regular object dialogue...
Director
Anonymous
Not applicable
OH!

Duh.
That makes sense.
Thank You