Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Hundreds of unwanted Surfaces reappearing in Surface Palette

waydowntown
Contributor

Hi everyone

Shortly after starting any project with our standard office template, a couple hundred new surfaces always appear in the Surfaces palette. If we delete them using the attribute manager, it's just a matter of (short) time before they reappear in the palette. Now I'm pretty sure these are embedded in a library object (or family of objects) located within our own office library (let me know if you think I'm wrong on that). Is there any way of pinpointing which objects in our library  are linked with these surfaces so that we can remove them?

Incidentally the surfaces are all named Kling RAL. Does anyone know where this might originate from?

Screen Shot 2023-10-13 at 10.40.36 AM.png

Mac M1 Ultra OS 12.3
Since AC 4.55
15 REPLIES 15

yes, I have seen it infect files, even when teams swear they never copy/paste. The best I can figure is it makes its way into local data and infects from there, or people just truly don't understand how infectious this issue is.
I've caught people claiming they didn't copy/paste, then see that there is text/details/etc... "but it's only 2d" or "I just needed that one detail".

I've insisted people self audit for this issue before/after any copy/paste (because lets face, they're going to do that), at the end of every week, before saving out .mod (since it get buried in modules and is impossible to remove at that point without purging all infected modules).

This really is something that GS needs to fix. There is no reason we should have to continually check files and go through the effort to remove the thousands of polluted surfaces on a daily basis like we currently do.

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
Patrick M
Advisor

bump this thread too; just had a client report that the pollution has made it's way into their template, despite our best efforts to keep it clean. Gotta get this under control.
this is a nuisance, an embarrassment, a time suck, and a hinderance to proper file management and maintenance.

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
Olivia19
Newcomer

The same thing happens in our office all the time! Graphisoft needs to fix the underlying issues so this doesn't keep happening.

Patrick M
Advisor

still just getting crickets on this... anyone from GS care to chime in? hoping it just goes away (like the rest of us)? Any plans to get this resolved in (or before) AC28?

why do we have to keep saying, ad nauseam, that this is NOT a "feature". It's a BUG.

Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-5060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.6
Patrick M
Advisor

Let me give this one another bump, with another story. I just opened a clients pln, then got a screen shot from them asking why I added these surfaces... and if I can't keep my surfaces out of their drop box files, that they'll just have to do the work themselves.
So this 'feature' is now losing me work...

I'll also add, I did not add anything to this project. Did not copy/paste anything in. Did not load any new objects to the library manger or even drag/drop anything into the file. Just opening the file riddled it with these master_gdl.gsm surfaces.

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 10.30.13 AM.png