BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

256mb to 512mb video ram PCI ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

Am upgrading my video card in my notebook from the new
Nvidea 7900 gtx @ 256mb video ram to the newest Nvidea 7900 gtx @
512 mb of video ram and am just wondering if any one knows if this will
help with the following situation

I am finding that when I create an exterior elevation for a proposal ie
lots of bushes and trees with thousands of leaves polygons I like to copy
this and paste it back to my plan view, resize and place next to my floor plan say @ 1/8" = 1'-0" the wait time for each drag to a new location, resize and then the wait time when all elevations are placed and am trying to work on the plan or just navigate around with the 256mb card
is less than satisfactory. I have been taking care of this by turning the elevation layer off when I don't need it.

Does any one know if the new card will help in this case and if not where will I see the greatest performance boost in ac10 with the new card

I should know the answer myself next week and will try to post what I find then

thank you for any insight

JP
7 REPLIES 7
Dwight
Newcomer
Without being 100% certain, I don't think that it WILL speed up rebuilds - those copy/paste/drag functions are actual file changes. Redraw, not rebuild.

Graphics cards address representation and specific 3D functions - like texture mapping in OpenGL - for gaming - you are much likely to roll seven with the NVidia card. More RAM in the card might make it easier, quicker, smoother to scroll and pan, whatever, but RAM doesn't address real stuff.

This card will not bog down making OpenGL navgation at full screen - say 1600x2560 - smooth.

Many users find this issue confusing. When you navigate in OpenGL, it is because the entire environment is loaded into CPU RAM, but the light effects and textures are processed separately in the GPU on the card. Rule of thumb: Real Stuff - file changes: CPU+RAM+Hard drive
Superficial Stuff - texture and navigation:
GPU + GPU RAM.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
you are much likely to roll seven with the NVidia card?

Dwight wrote:
Without being 100% certain, I don't think that it WILL speed up rebuilds - those copy/paste/drag functions are actual file changes. Redraw, not rebuild.

Graphics cards address representation and specific 3D functions - like texture mapping in OpenGL - for gaming - you are much likely to roll seven with the NVidia card. More RAM in the card might make it easier, quicker, smoother to scroll and pan, whatever, but RAM doesn't address real stuff.

This card will not bog down making OpenGL navgation at full screen - say 1600x2560 - smooth.

Many users find this issue confusing. When you navigate in OpenGL, it is because the entire environment is loaded into CPU RAM, but the light effects and textures are processed separately in the GPU on the card. Rule of thumb: Real Stuff - file changes: CPU+RAM+Hard drive
GPU + GPU RAM.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay, So it sounds like moving around in both plan and open gl might
get significantly better

Jonathan wrote:
you are much likely to roll seven with the NVidia card?

Dwight wrote:

GPU + GPU RAM.
Dwight
Newcomer
That was merely a pun, since graphics card makers say their products are for "gaming." That is just how my mind works. Or doesn't. No wonder I can't keep a job. Imagine me in YOUR office. Once the rubber-band-on-the-architect's-scale war and the t-square hockey tournament was over, THEN the jokes would start.

Seven is good in dice, i think.

Never thought about the "Risk" aspect. However, I do notice that ArchiCAD fails to write code to take advantage of just about every gamer card's trick - even transparency in OpenGL, an easy trick anywhere else, still requires a cheap Atkinson trick for transparent windows in OpenGL rendering.

In the old days, 8Mg was enough to drive a 21" display. Scrolling a drawing was slow. When OpenGL arrived, the sky was the limit. What will they do with 1024 mg?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mine too, just slow some times

We used to put goggles or motorcycle helmets on for eye protection and have wars around the office with rubber-bands firing these bent plastic binding prongs (used in specification books) at each other. One day, Frank (the big cheese) was in his office where one of these things went whizzing through the gap in his sliding glass door... I think it scared him, " that could have put the clients wifes eye out" he said. We thought he was making a mountain out of a mole hill. That was a different world, am quite grown up now, almost!

Transparent windows in open gl? I put glass in and rely on the line created around the edges, or produce a photo render to show the clients in an email or print.

are you actually able to get it to be translucent? dont

I hope shades, shadows, & textures aren't to far away there, its a great place though even without.

I find myself always having to move the sun around, my only gripe there.
Would be nice to be able to have the sun fixed relative to the camera as you moved around.

Dwight wrote:
That was merely a pun, since graphics card makers say their products are for "gaming." That is just how my mind works. Or doesn't. No wonder I can't keep a job. Imagine me in YOUR office. Once the rubber-band-on-the-architect's-scale war and the t-square hockey tournament was over, THEN the jokes would start.

Seven is good in dice, i think.

Never thought about the "Risk" aspect. However, I do notice that ArchiCAD fails to write code to take advantage of just about every gamer card's trick - even transparency in OpenGL, an easy trick anywhere else, still requires a cheap Atkinson trick for transparent windows in OpenGL rendering.

In the old days, 8Mg was enough to drive a 21" display. Scrolling a drawing was slow. When OpenGL arrived, the sky was the limit. What will they do with 1024 mg?
Dwight
Newcomer
Transparent (not invisible) glass in OpenGL requires two renderings: One with opaque glass and one with invisible glass.

In Photoshop, overlay the opaque glass image on the invisible glass image and reduce the opacity of the opaque glass layer.

Ba doo ba ding

In the book. did you register yours, yet?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Am detecting very little if any difference in performance with the 512 mb card
Learn and get certified!