BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

3D window, elements cut when in close proximity

Anonymous
Not applicable
Was just struggling to describe this in the subject title, but the image I hope explains the problem. When navigating in 3D - if I get too near 'things' they get cut. Makes editing certain things impossible.

Is this a graphics driver issue or graphics card setting or bug? Advice greatly appreciated.

p.s. the white squares are me photo shopping out commercially sensitive stuff.
12 REPLIES 12
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Unless you are modelling far far away from origin (which can cause clipping bugs), it is just as you say element too close to camera.

For tricky editing I generally select the items to edit and only show those in 3D.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply Erwin. With respect, I'm not sure that is it - I've just noticed that if I marquee something I can get as close as I want without the odd cutting behavior (which to be honest is how ArchiCAD has always performed for me until now). See image.
Normal operation to me should be; I am able to pan/zoom right up to an object/wall/whatever until basically I'm inside the thing. For now I have found a work around at least (using Marquee). When I get some time I will have to try some different graphics drivers to see if that cures it, and see if the same behaviour is replicated on other machines.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Could be, yes. I haven't noticed any issues with the Quadro drivers, but I am very used to selecting element in the 3D window and then going for Show Selection in 3D option, so it might not be obvious in my workflow.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having the same issues, it seems like it is not a driver or computer issue. I have opened other archicad sessions and its not doing this. I also had a co worker open the file and he is having the same issue.

Did you figure out what the issue was? I'm thinking its a setting.
Paul King
Advisor
Dan wrote:
Was just struggling to describe this in the subject title, but the image I hope explains the problem. When navigating in 3D - if I get too near 'things' they get cut. Makes editing certain things impossible.

Is this a graphics driver issue or graphics card setting or bug? Advice greatly appreciated.

I have had this issue in the past, especially associated with Quadro GPUs (for some reason high end game cards seem much more stable for ArchiCAD)

Issue seems to relate to the way you navigate around a perspective view - if you get closer to something by zooming (eg. with mouse wheel) in rather than by flying the camera with keyboard, this can occur. Also implicated seems to be OpenGL memory churning in the GPU if you have had a busy day.
Workaround seems to be to power off then on again. Again, mainstream GPUs seem to be a lot more reliable than the more expensive 'workstation' GPUs - probably because the same cash outlay will buy you a newer generation card with better specs, more memory, and more regular driver updates
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
mikas
Expert
I had some strange openGL 3D-behavior too a couple of weeks ago (pic attached). If I recall it correctly, it was only one saved view in my project which gave me this, if I zoomed in enough. Now I can't reproduce it again.
It happened with an oldish iMac i7, Radeon 5750 1GB.

It was supposed to be a normal outside view of a hotel building.

Something like this has happened a few times earlier, I think in quite a many ArchiCAD versions.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Anonymous
Not applicable
whether i navigate using my mouse, scroll button or in camera keyboard it does the same thing. My laptop has Intel Core i7 @ 2.5 GHz with 24GB of RAM, video card is NVIDIA GTX 980M . I'm not up on whether these specs are outdated, i know there are better video cards now but i thought this would be more then enough to cover what archicad requires. Whats weird about this issue is it doesn't happen in all my opened archicad projects. I have several sessions running and this issue doesn't happen in all sessions which leads me to think its a setting but i really don't know. It extremely annoying haha
Paul wrote:
Dan wrote:

I have had this issue in the past, especially associated with Quadro GPUs (for some reason high end game cards seem much more stable for ArchiCAD)

Issue seems to relate to the way you navigate around a perspective view - if you get closer to something by zooming (eg. with mouse wheel) in rather than by flying the camera with keyboard, this can occur. Also implicated seems to be OpenGL memory churning in the GPU if you have had a busy day.
Workaround seems to be to power off then on again. Again, mainstream GPUs seem to be a lot more reliable than the more expensive 'workstation' GPUs - probably because the same cash outlay will buy you a newer generation card with better specs, more memory, and more regular driver updates
Anonymous
Not applicable
So I seemed to narrow this probably down to a roof slab being the cause. For some reason there were some roof slabs that had 0 value. Once i deleted it i no longer had this close proximity cuts happen. Try deleting your roof slabs completely to see if this works on your side, it worked for me.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also have this clipping issue, and it's not he GPU, Open GL nor drivers.
For me it was the new railing tool from Archicad 21. Whener I use it extensively, I run into various problems like near camera clipping or random displacement of the railing. If I filter the railing out in 3D window, the near camera clipping issue dissappears.
Learn and get certified!