Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

3d Mode Extremely Slow (MAC)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone!

It's FRIDAY!!! Thank god. But I'd just like to post a question before I pack up and go home for the weekend!

When I go into the 3D mode and zoom in a bit (to the point where I can see what I'm working on) I get the beach ball of death everytime I try and do anything. When I say anything this means selecting something, panning, orbiting etc etc. Everything.

Takes about 30 seconds to a minute to come back from so I can 'work on it' only for it to go straight back to the beach ball.

Obviously this makes working on it completely impossible (well, not quite impossible... I may have over exaggerated there )

Anyway, do any of you guys have any ideas?

Its strange how it only seems to do this when I'm zoomed in slightly. If I'm quite a far way off I can pan and orbit the model easily.

I'm running Archicad 15 (no hotfix just yet... don't ask) on a Macbook Pro, Snow Leopard 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram with a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M video Card.

Thanks for any help!

Tom
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I must add as well, that it is hanging on as well on the Mac Pro we have in the office. Dont ask what the GHZ and Video Card is but it has 8GB Ram in it. Though it is only running on Leopard. Not sure whether that makes any difference, but hey, just a little more info for you.

Cheers.

Tom
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom -- I'm having the same problem. Have you found a solution?
Thanks,
Ray
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Ray, I found updating Mac OS X Snow Leopard to Lion worked for me. Obviously on large models it hangs slightly still, but thats to be expected.

Hope that helps you out!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ray wrote:
Tom -- I'm having the same problem. Have you found a solution?
Thanks,
Ray
Ray - did you solve your problem? I'm having issues with this too.
Anonymous
Not applicable
My troubles arose in the process of migrating a file to a new template. I never did fully solve the problem and decided to abandon the new template and continue with my existing one.

I did, though, learn a few diagnostic procedures. Perhaps they'll be of use to you:

Download the "Check Duplicates" tool from the GS site and use it to see if you have inadvertently superimposed duplicate elements on your plan.

Turn layers on and off and see if any particular one causes a slowdown. If so, investigate the various classes of elements present on that layer.

Use the Marquee tool to show only certain portions of the project in 3D, and see if it's only one portion that's slow.

Do a Save As and and use the multi-story Marquee to select and then delete entire classes of elements, one at a time, checking for speed.

Good luck!

Ray