Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

4K or Retina displays - do they work with ArchiCAD?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just curious if there will be an updated version of ArchiCad for Apple's Retina Display.
47 REPLIES 47
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a new 12 core Mac Pro running dual AMD D700 FirePro cards with a 32" 4K monitor by Dell.

The performance is embarrassing in the 2D window.
Is anyone else having this problem?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Buffett wrote:
I have a new 12 core Mac Pro running dual AMD D700 FirePro cards with a 32" 4K monitor by Dell.

The performance is embarrassing in the 2D window.
Is anyone else having this problem?
Contact ArchiCad directly (and post results here). This should be answered by them - probably a software issue, but might be something else.
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Hi Talkers,

allow me to summarize the current situation about running ArchiCAD on 4K displays:

On Windows such displays work quite well with good performance. When the native resolution (3840 x 2160) is used, everything looks smooth and crisp. On smaller 4K displays (24"-30”) such resolution is barely useable, as all texts and graphics items are extremely small. With Windows 8.1 Microsoft introduced a new scaling option, to enlarge texts and UI items. (Control Panel/Screen Resolution> Make text and other items larger or smaller). This new settings is not yet fully supported by ArchiCAD, as a result the UI may be pixelated when using scaled resolutions. This does not affect performance and functionality, so on Windows feel free to go ahead with such display. Of course make sure that your graphics card supports the resolution and provides enough performance to calculate that many pixels.

On Mac we've already implemented support for HiDPI after the first retina MacBook Pros were released. As a result texts, the 2D and 3D windows and many UI elements look clear and crisp, with all resolutions and scaling settings.
On the other hand the performance can really drop in 2D, and only some new Macs provide enough juice for the 3D window. At this point we are actively investigating how we could optimize ArchiCAD to provide better speed, but in many cases there are no technologies available to use.

So at this point I would recommend to wait before investing in such displays, if you are running ArchiCAD on Macs.

Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great reply with high info/noise level - too bad this forum solution does not support upvoting answers or choosing best answer 🙂

@Marton: Is this graphics difference between Mac and Windows basically caused by platform differences in the rendering pipeline (DirectX vs Quartz/OpenGL), or is it somehow related to Java (Java 3D)? This might be the wrong forum to discuss this, so feel free to refer me to a place this might already have been discussed (StackOverflow?).
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
fatso83 wrote:
@Marton: Is this graphics difference between Mac and Windows basically caused by platform differences in the rendering pipeline (DirectX vs Quartz/OpenGL), or is it somehow related to Java (Java 3D)? This might be the wrong forum to discuss this, so feel free to refer me to a place this might already have been discussed (StackOverflow?).
It's caused by platform differences. OS X has better built in support for retina mode, that we could utilize much easier.

We do not use Java (Java 3D), the 3D window is OpenGL rendered with some additional layers.

Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have heard that osx has a low resolution setting that can be applied in a per app basis. Could ArchiCAD Benefit from running the app at the "low resolution mode"?

The new 5k iMac can run at scaled resolutions as well but still remains crisp. It's highest scaled res is higher than their IPS displays but lower than 4k. Would this system setting allow for 2d usability?
aahatimo
Newcomer
Are there r iMacs heading to GS to test?
A review of the retina iMac from Barefeats: http://barefeats.com/imac2014b.html
states that:
"The "Best for display" setting of the Retina 5K will be 2560x1440. Using the Displays System Preference panel, you will be able to scale the resolution up or down similarly to how it works with the Retina MacBook Pro. Some apps will offer you the choice of running at the full 5120x2880. Some will not. Whatever resolution you scale it to, the pixels-per-inch (ppi) will remain the same, thereby preserving the 'Retina' effect."
My retina mbp has that same setting and does not use highest, scaled resolution unless selected. So it is capable of running scaled "looks like" 1920x1200 max or for 1024x640 as min scaled display.
Since r iMac would not be running the full rez over the top 5120x2280 but ½ that does GS still not recommend it?
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
dapDesign wrote:
I have heard that osx has a low resolution setting that can be applied in a per app basis. Could ArchiCAD Benefit from running the app at the "low resolution mode"?

The new 5k iMac can run at scaled resolutions as well but still remains crisp. It's highest scaled res is higher than their IPS displays but lower than 4k. Would this system setting allow for 2d usability?
Based on our experience the "low resolution mode" does not help to avoid the speed issues that we experienced with such high resolution displays.

Please find more info here: http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/?p=25888
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
MSotero
Participant
Marton wrote:
Based on our experience the "low resolution mode" does not help to avoid the speed issues that we experienced with such high resolution displays.

Please find more info here: http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/?p=25888
1) Will this be remedied for AC17/18, and if so, what is the projected timing? Or will a fix not come until AC19?

2) Since you indicated it works on a hi res Windows machine, I don't suppose running AC with bootcamp or whatever would make it work properly?
Jussi_
Booster
I went to store to test 5k imac retina. To my suprise iMac can be run at full 5k resolution making all user interface dialogs tiny. Unreadable from traditional viewing distances. Not for me.

ArchiCad can be downloaded, installed and run on demo mode at store. Even better, bring your own dongle with you. And your own PLN files.

HiDpi or best for retina iMac looks the same as old 27" iMac, except sharper. And how about ArchiCad, looks stellar. Dimension lines, fills, walls - beautiful! This is wonderful hardware indeed. And about the 2d speed. Tolerable or even fine. I am old and have used ArchiCad since 3.x so I can tolerate slowness - did not have 'not slow' testbed hardware next to retina iMac. But I recommend to test ArchiCad at store. Please write your experience to followers here. And Graphisoft, please write to compared to what the speed is slow. And reveal some timetables - not before Ac19 is valid answer. At least I can live with it.

And this was my first run with AC18 - CineRender was terrible slow on retina iMac. I was quite ok with 2d and open gl 3d was smooth. 2d was not instantly there, but is it on some hardware? And CineRender- only thing that was too slow to be worked with. And pre set materials were off too, Artlantis is faster and you see what you get.

My point is that 2d might not be an issue for your projects. 3d open gl is much better than i hoped for. And CineRender is painfully slow.