Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

4K or Retina displays - do they work with ArchiCAD?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just curious if there will be an updated version of ArchiCad for Apple's Retina Display.
47 REPLIES 47
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In this article

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/technotes/setup/hardware-compatibility/retina-display-compatibility...

GS says:
Based on GRAPHISOFT’s latest tests the performance of ArchiCAD significantly drops on such displays, including 4K displays as well. As a result, at this point it is not recommended to invest in iMacs with Retina 5K displays or 4K displays.

GRAPHISOFT is actively researching the available technologies to improve the performance on such high-res displays.
Which also means that it is kind of hard to put on a timetable when they actually need to research new technologies to make it work. Also, software developers generally do not make any such promises because of the nature of complex applications is that anything can go wrong, a new bug, some unexpected conflict with another system component or application. So I would not expect a definite answer from GS in this topic.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
aahatimo
Newcomer
There must be work going on at GS Hungary and other locations for optimizing ArchiCad for 4k displays since mac pro was released 1 ½ years ago.
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Jussi_
Booster
I run ArchiCAD 16 at Retina MacBook Pro 15" mid 2012 2,3 GHz i7 8Gt RAM.

Comparing my current architect work PLN files, how they run on 5K Retina iMac, the cheapest model at computer store desk - there is no slowness. Overall experience is better than on my current machine.
I just recommend to investigate if the 5K machine is ok for you. I ordered one today. Updated to i7 to get 8 threads (demo machine had i5) and paid for updated GPU, too. But demo machine was swift and that screen is marvelous.

Looking architectural plans with dimension lines and complicated hatches is a joy on 5K display - I recommend to pay a visit to a store. Bring your own projects and mouse with you to get the feel of ArchiCAD with the best CAD display ever.

And I took GS warning of performance hit seriously. You should, too. 2K monitor with modern machine might be snappier (than 4K, 5K). Old iMac might even be speedier than retina one. But that screen - it is worth the cost to me. To be honest, many computer stores have retina iMac next to old 27" iMac. Run ArchiCAD side by side.
I bought retina. I promise to report here if I find out there was something wrong with the r iMac and ArchICAD. But your projects or work methods most likely differ from mine. I started with Macintosh IIfx with SuperMac screen that was around 20". And cost more than the machine. I like good screens.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just want to give this post a bump, considering the following link:
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/technotes/setup/hardware-compatibility/retina-display-compatibility/

does any one have any experience with long term or major problems with the 5k retina display & AC 18?
We have a 5k retina display & AC 18, and I have only played around with the combination. I have noticed minor slowing in plan view, zooming in/out and going up/down stories. It seems so minor to me that it is really a non-issue, but if there is other reasons to return the computers I would like to hear other users input.

We have heard from GS, it looks like this will not be resolved until after the release of AC 19, so it is a big decision.
Karl Ottenstein
Patrick, I'm merging this old thread with a newer thread with more recent discussion.. and changing the title of that thread so that it makes sense to both PC and Mac users. (PC users tend to use 4k/5k term... Mac users tend to use 'retina' terminology.)

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I think there are many Archicad users who would love to have a Retina iMac (I'm one of them). So, I hope GS makes this possible well before the release of AC19. My iMac is 5 years old and still has plenty of power for what I need, but if a major repair comes along...
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
aahatimo
Newcomer
Jussi_,
How is that retina Imac working out with Archicad?
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Jussi_
Booster
aahatimo wrote:
Jussi_,
Apple either sells Retina iMacs a lot or has production issues. I am now on my 4th week of waiting. Even the cheapest standard model has 2-3 weeks wait status on Apple Store.
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
aahatimo wrote:
Jussi_,
Please find here some details: http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/?p=25888

Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
MSotero
Participant
Marton wrote:
Please find here some details: http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/?p=25888

Marton
Marton,

Might be interesting if you'd post side by side comparison images from ArchiCAD showing the [5K Best Res] + [5K Low Res Mode] + [Standard iMac] showing the same thing for comparison. And would be nice if the images included some text and diagonal lines along with whatever else. Perhaps a dialog box would be helpful too.

Also wondering if the "open in low res mode" equals a standard iMac in terms of image quality and performance or are they something else.

Michael