Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

4K or Retina displays - do they work with ArchiCAD?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just curious if there will be an updated version of ArchiCad for Apple's Retina Display.
47 REPLIES 47
Jussi_
Booster
I now have iMac 5K and it is marvellous.
Biggest complain is that ArchiCAD created PDFs are really slow on Preview (and on mail). These are exactly same kind of symptoms I had with MacBook Pro 15" retina (first generation).
With ArchiCAD I haven't find out anything alarming. To me all issues Graphisoft has warned us are in tolerable timeframe (to me). This iMac is by far the fastest machine I ever had.
I'll update my post at end of January. Run with ArchiCAD is still very limited.
Eduardo Rolon
+1 on the preview problem on MacBook Pro Retina
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Jussi_ wrote:
I now have iMac 5K and it is marvellous.
Biggest complain is that ArchiCAD created PDFs are really slow on Preview (and on mail). These are exactly same kind of symptoms I had with MacBook Pro 15" retina (first generation).
With ArchiCAD I haven't find out anything alarming. To me all issues Graphisoft has warned us are in tolerable timeframe (to me). This iMac is by far the fastest machine I ever had.
I'll update my post at end of January. Run with ArchiCAD is still very limited.
Hi:

Can you tell me the specs on your iMac Retina? i7, Fusion,graphics card and added ram? Would you have done
any of these differently?

thanks!

Don
Anonymous
Not applicable
Side comparison images from ArchiCAD showing the [5K Best Res] + [5K Low Res Mode] + [2007 MacBookPro]. Low Res is looks a little out of focus on screen.
Jussi_
Booster
My iMac 5K is 4 GHz i7 (base model does not have hyperthreding), 16 Gt RAM (Apple left 2 slots free and cost was ok), AMD R9 M295X (better go with the best graphics) and SSD 512 since I do not need more space. If I do need storage, thunderbolt and usb 3 can handle those storage needs.
I would not change anything - I recommend to get "free" Magic touchpad instead of useless Apple mouse, too.

My workflow does not depend on PDF files on my floor plan or section view. But that would be a reason NOT TO BUY. Workflow can be destroyed with PDF files inside ArchiCAD. Viewing PDF with preview is sluggish, but Acrobat Pro is noticeable faster. I changed my preferred PDF viewer because of that.

I use "best for retina" settings. User interface elements are sharp and same physical size as they were on older iMac 27". Text elements are drawn sharply and tiny text is readable (as it is with 15" retina MacBook Pro. Overall this is like retina MacBook Pro, but with much larger work space. And to me this is fastest ArchiCAD set up ever. Until I have to insert a PDF.

PDF is essential to many of us - and 5K iMac is slow with CAD PDFs.

added:
Helsinki Guggenheim site plan DWG was painfully slow on my 15" Retina MacBook Pro (first generation). Retina iMac has no problem panning zoomed in view and to zoom out to see all takes a second. 5,7 MB DWG open in ArchiCAD in less than 20 seconds and I had to check black background dialog, too.
Anonymous
Not applicable
at work we've got some LG 31MU97 displays (4096*2160),
some notes:
- more pixels does mean also more mouse movement
- we had overlooked it's wide 19:10 width-heigth ratio which we don't like very much, 30 inch screens look bigger with 2560*1600 pix than this 32 inch
- some use it now with black unused sides
- some use it with low resolution (dvi only goes up to 24hz at native resolution which it noticably worse than displayport with 60 hzand not all our gpu cards have displayport output)

last week i tested one myself:
- displayport at 60hz and native resolution
- at a pretty close distance
- when i went back to my own nec pa301w display (2560*1600 30 inch), it looked rather not-smooth because of the much lower pixel-density

next batch of displays will probably be 32 inch and 16:10 or 16:9 ratio, about resolution i'm not sure yet, 2560 width or 4k
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jussi_ wrote:
PDF is essential to many of us - and 5K iMac is slow with CAD PDFs.
Does anyone know if this got fixed in 19?
aahatimo
Newcomer
since there are now iMacs out yesterday, any updates regarding ac v19 and 4 or 5k displays?
http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]