Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

4K or Retina displays - do they work with ArchiCAD?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just curious if there will be an updated version of ArchiCad for Apple's Retina Display.
47 REPLIES 47
Anonymous
Not applicable
outpostarc wrote:
Just curious if there will be an updated version of ArchiCad for Apple's Retina Display.
In the apple keynote it was a autobad screenshot
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jose wrote:
outpostarc wrote:
In the apple keynote it was a autobad screenshot
Yeah I was disappointed to see that. Especially when ArchicAD and Apple worked closely together 15 years ago... AutoCAD in this respect seems like 'the future', but the core of the software is still way in the past.

Come on ArchiCAD, make some BIG updates... Full screen (for 2 screen support), new user interface and retina support. If you look over the past 5 ArchiCAD release, nothing has changed interface wise... this worries me.
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
We are definietly going to support Retina Display. (We were the first to support Retina Display on the IPad) There are a few modifications we have to do to ArchiCAD to make it happen. First, there are a couple of small adjustments we need to do to make the graphical user interface work properly in HiDPI mode. We have already made these adjustments in ArchiCAD 16, and we are going to release a Hotfix for ArchiCAD 15 with these fixes.

Later this summer we are going to release an update for ArchiCAD 16 that makes it fully HiDPI-compliant - meaning that all ArchiCAD 2D/3D windows will display the model in high resolution.

We will keep you updated here as development progresses.
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Anonymous
Not applicable
gkmethy wrote:
We are definietly going to support Retina Display. (We were the first to support Retina Display on the IPad) There are a few modifications we have to do to ArchiCAD to make it happen. First, there are a couple of small adjustments we need to do to make the graphical user interface work properly in HiDPI mode. We have already made these adjustments in ArchiCAD 16, and we are going to release a Hotfix for ArchiCAD 15 with these fixes.

Later this summer we are going to release an update for ArchiCAD 16 that makes it fully HiDPI-compliant - meaning that all ArchiCAD 2D/3D windows will display the model in high resolution.

Very good news!!!
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
gkmethy wrote:
I have created an ArchicadWiki article to collect the latest updates regarding the Retina Display: http://archicadwiki.com/RetinaDisplay

As soon as we have updated news I'll post it there.
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great. Thanks for the response guys.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great news, the new screen is amazing to! BTW
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hopefully the palettes will get smaller, rather than staying the same relative size, and just getting sharper. That's the only way we'll get extra usable screen space out of the 15" display (now that the 17" MBP is no more).

For example, I use a 17" MBP and 30" Apple Cinema Display at the office(2560x1600). When I'm working at home just on the MBP (1920x1200), I have to use a different Work Environment to get everything on one, smaller screen.

To be able to switch from a 2880x1800 Retina Display MBP to a 30" display, or any other machine, it would be great if AC's palettes simply had, say, three scales. Rather than rearranging the Work Environment for different displays (including workstations in our office with a 21" and 23" or two 23" displays) it would be much more convenient to simply have one office WE and scale it to the display (or user preferences to have, say tiny tiny icons).
Anonymous
Not applicable
They seem to be in hot demand so I've ordered one. I had a play in the shop. It is interesting you can't actually pick a resolution, they just have 5 options: best for retina, then you have two options either side to make it bigger or smaller.....

There's a good overview here: http://blog.xero.com/2012/07/resolution/